Two headed Trout.

tbblom

Reaction score
Simplot operates in N. Utah as well. From what I have seen, they destroy any watershed they operate in, and completely close off all access to local creeks where they are in business.
I tried to get into one site for 'bedrock erosion' research and was promptly denied by the front guards...

ditz

Reaction score
Our governmental agencies have mosty become an arm of big corporations and big money. FDA, EPA and many others are corrupt. Doen't anyone remember the BP oil spill in the Gulf? How quickly we forget! China is still sending lead tainted toys for our children. Who knows what is in our food supply that is being imported for our use. Oh! I forgot, labor unions are at fault.:eek:

vitesse304

Reaction score
I'm not defending the mining company by any means, but the fry were spawned in a lab.

Considering the mortality rate for trout, we know that quite a few fry don't survive anyways. What's not to say that a majority of them have deformations that prevent them from living long in the wild anyway? Can you hypothesize that you don't see a lot of deformed and mutated trout fry in the wild is because they die or are eaten by predators right away?

Now certainly there is a higher incidence of mutations and deformations due to the mining. It's been proven in all species when exposed to heavy metals, but I think the data might be a little skewed. What is the true percentage of deformation when compared to a control group? How many of the fry have developed "mutations" from being spawned in a lab? (think about trout raised in hatcheries that have blunted noses and fin nubs)

Just some thoughts...again, I think that they are destroying the watershed, but "scare tactics" seem to be the norm these days with exaggerations and incomplete data...

bobafett

Reaction score
This was a pretty big story here 2 weeks ago when it first came out. The local paper was all over it. they said the fish mortality rate in the wild was 100% after 15 days. they also only looked at the fish in the watershed, not the waterfowl, frogs, etc. Our local story said that even the duck eggs would never hatch in this area. on the flip side, simplot makes the best waffle fries ever!