Rod weights?

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Everyone has a favorite rod weight for the fish they pursue as they also do the action they prefer. What weight, length, action of rod works best for you and what do you prefer to fish for with your favorite. Personally i prefer the lighter weight rods.
Eddy.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Most of my time in the water is in smaller streams in West-West central PA. 7.5 to 8' 4wt is by far my favorite rod to fish, in a medium to medium-fast action. I am in LOVE with my Sage 7'10" 4wt TXL that I STOLE when they went on clearance everywhere. In the more medium range my TFO Finesse 7'9" is easy like sunday morning. Of course 8'4wt means primarily dry fly fishing but I use it whenever I can. I make it work on real small streams if I can, and I don't hesitate to use an 8' rod on the Ausable either because I'm so comfortable with them. I can boom out 80' with the 8' TXL and that's good enough IMO.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Where I fish, there are many smaller specimens but the possibility of hooking an extraordinary trout are quite real also. I think the 9' 5wt is the perfect rod for my waters. And of the rods tried to date (14 month fly fisher) a fast mid flex feels best. Just purchased a 9'3" 7wt for night fishing the big boys and girls and will give a report after the reel I have matched to the rod comes in and I get a little water time.

Dave

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
My answer is based off of the trout fishing I do mostly.

I usually fish a medium sized river in which I will use a variety of techniques, with a variety of fly lines, and fly types. The distances can range from a rod length away to 60 feet. The currents can be slow to fast.

I usually use 9 foot 5 or 6 weight fast action rigs. I will choose a rig based off of the presentation that I wish to use.

Dennis

Last edited:

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Dave, where in Ark are ya and what waters do you fish? I'm here in the edge of Missouri and fish spring river just south of Mammoth Spring very often. Seldom on North Fork in Missouri. I would like to learn the area though.
Eddy

chuck s

Reaction score
I generally have from 2 to 12 weight rods/outfits here and firmly believe in matching tackle to the fish and conditions.;)

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Right now my favorite is my 10' 6wt Allen Xa medium-fast action, mainly for steelhead but also large browns. However, I'm eyeing a 7'6" 3wt from the same series for inland trout, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, a 12'6" 7wt spey for anything I can land on it... but overall, the 10' 6wt is still my current favorite!

caseywise

Reaction score
2-5 weight- pannies, smaller creeks
3-6 weight- trout/grayling,gills
5-8 weight- bass/carp/steelies/pike
7-9 weight- salmon, big bass, big steel
9-11 weight- big chinook salmon, musky(some day)

on the smaller rods, 2-4, med to med fast action.
on the mid rods 5-8, i like a med fast to fast action.
anything over 8- fast

casey

moucheur2003

Reaction score
It really depends on where I'm going to fish.

For little brook trout creeks, I will usually use a 7' 4 wt bamboo or a 7'9" TFO Finesse.

There are a couple of medium-sized rivers in Connecticut where a medium-to-medium-fast 8 1/2' or 9' 5 weight is just the ticket.

There are a couple of big brawny rivers in northern Vermont and NH, with tricky currents and deep holes, where I never know whether I'll be fishing #18s on the surface, or deep streamers with a lead head, or weighted nymphs with indicators on long casts, or soft hackles on a down-and-across swing. That's when I really need my pretty fast 9' 6 weight that can do a little of everything. I know people out West who like a fast 4 weight for the same sorts of situations, but I think that's like trying to swim with one hand tied behind your back.

Fishing for bass in lakes with big deer hair bugs or weighted streamers on a sink tip usually finds me with a medium-action 9' 8 weight.

I've taken a few trips to Quebec and Labrador for Atlantic salmon, where the best rod seems to be a medium-fast 9' to 10' 8 or 9 weight, or 8 overloaded with a 9 line. On my last trip I also took a 15' TFO 8/9 spey rod, and caught a few fish with it that I wouldn't have been able to reach with a 9 footer, but that's a pretty infrequent situation.

Fishing the New England coast for striped bass and bluefish seems best with a fast 9' or 10' 9 weight, to help with the long casts, wind and bulky flies.

If I had to narrow it down to only one that could cover the widest variety of situations adequately it would probably be an 8 1/2' to 9' 5 or 6 weight for trout, panfish, and light-duty bass fishing. (Which is just about exactly the conventional advice for beginners that you can find almost anywhere.)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I seem to use my even numbered rods most often (4,6,8,10) but the last three rods that I've purchased were two 5s and a 7.
Now that's odd. :D

dhayden

Reaction score
I'm an even number guy too.., just down one group

2 spooky trout - slower water on the Paradise Valley spring creeks
4 my most common on smaller rivers
6 from drift boats
8 Steelhead

I'm almost always taking 2 rods.. 2/4, 4/6

Last edited:

pa dave

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one for a bit before adding to the thread and I can't pin-point a favorite rod. Often it is the one most recently built. Some days I choose the rod based on where I'm fishing and for what, and some days I choose where I'm fishing based on which rod tickles my fancy that day.

It's like deciding which girl to dance with...each one is a little different, and it's almost always worth the time. :thumbsupu

fryfishingguy

Reaction score
very good topic, I'm going to follow this and try to use it to decide what rod to get next. I have the one 9'5 rod now, and most I've chatted with say the next one I get should be a 9 or 10' 8 wt... I want to mainly fish for Trout and Steelhead... no interest in the big salmon as I'm only going to do C&R..

ghocevar

Reaction score
Small Mountain Creeks: 6' 2Wt Medium Action Orvis Superfine Trout Bum
Small/Medium Freestoners: 9' 3Wt Fast Action Orvis Helios

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
My most used rod is a 9'6" 6wt, accompanied by a 8'8" 4wt, I can do just about anything I need to for trout and steelhead on our valley rivers with the two. Out on the delta looking for bass or striper I'll have 9' 6wt, 7wt, 8wt , and a 9wt on the boat(rarely do I go out anywhere just wading, 95% of the time I'm on my boat or toon) all rigged with different patterns.

Reaction score
3 rods

7'6 3wt, spring creeks and small rivers
9' 5 wt, all rounder, large rivers, trout
10'6 8wt, salmon and steelhead

you can fish the world with a 5wt and an 8wt