Your favorite....

attila

Reaction score
All around,most often used rod length,line wt. and action ? Also where and what you fish for most. I'd say 8' 5 wt. and trout in small to med. streams.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Oops and a med fast action leaning more toward fast.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For trout and similar species up to 7 pounds a 7' 9" 5 weight Far & Fine that I've been using since 79'. For big fish and rivers a 13' 8/9 weight two hand rod, it handles anything from a 12" trout to a big salmon. I like medium action rods.

Those 2 get the most use,

Ard

attila

Reaction score
Hardyreels, I love my Orvis Rocky Mnt. Far and Fine. I bought it back in the 80's but wish it was a bit faster.

williamhj

Reaction score
For our small streams I love my 7'6" 4wt medium action with DT line, though I wish it were 8 or 8'6" for a bit more reach

tbblom

Reaction score
9' 5wt med/fast handles any trout up to about 20"+
Throws tiny midges through tungsten belly streamers.
Enough leverage for faster flows without being too heavy.
Heavy enough to cast in wind (its always windy!)
Stiff enough to rocket a fly under tight overhanging brush.

Although I just got a 6wt, and paired it with a sink tip line, very fun for long casts on stillwater.

rapid eddy

Reaction score
For the past yr mine has been my #1 "Surgeon Series" 7'6" . RDP rod, my design. Landed everything from pan size rainbows, rock bass, big blugills and several 5 LB rainbows. One 7lb 5 oz. Can you say pucker factor. Nothin but smiles. I own probably 15 rods up to an older 6wt Berkly Bionix but seldom use anything but the small stuff. "Sporty" was the term someone used here the other day.
Eddy

jasalvas

Reaction score
I have a 8'6" 5wt Bamboo rod, original maker was Phillipson and it was refinished by Leonard. I love that rod. I match it with a Hardy System 6 reel. I fish it the most out of my small collection. My next rod would be my Horizon 9' 5wt by Thomas and Thomas. I just came across a Hardy Sovereign 8'6" 5/6wt. I have a feeling it is going to sneak in to the #2 spot. I have a Hardy Princess reel I try to use as often as possible. Hands down one of the best reels ever made. I love my gear!

Didgeridoo

Reaction score
My two all-time favorites are my Hardy Marksman 11' 6wt which handles big stillwater trout, it roll casts indicator rigs with ease, pounds casts into the wind without much trouble, and is a pleasure to fish with 8-14hrs without any shoulder or arm fatigue. It also is a great bass fishing rod with enough backbone to handle the feisty bronzebacks and the added length helps to cast out poppers and medium sized streamers.

My second favorite is my St.Croix High Stick Drifter 10' 4wt. For nymphing in rivers it is truly fantastic. Whether using the European nymphing techniques like french style where you're working a longer cast or you're short-line nymphing, it has the reach, a very sensitive tip, a strong backbone in case you hook a solid fish, and is ridiculously light in the hand. It also works fairly well as a dry fly rod as well, when matched with a DT line.

Nick

cattech89

Reaction score
For all-purpose here in WV I like a 9' 5wt with a Medium to Med-fast action. Although here lately I've enjoyed getting some use out of my old 8' 6 wt glass rod...

Reactions: Ard

ditz

Reaction score
6' TFO 2wt Signature with a dt 4wt line. I have used it for 2years now as a go to rod. I fish small creeks for BG and SMB but I am looking for some carp too.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My favorite rod is the one that I'm using at the time
My second favorite is the one that I'm thinking about using next
:p

Bluefeather

Reaction score
The rod that I'm using the most so far this year is a 8'4" Orvis 3wt midflex 7.0 with 3wt Rio Trout LT loaded on a Teton reel.I mostly fish the small trout waters here in SW Mo.
:thmbup:

L

Liphookedau

I really don't have any favourite Rods even though over the years I have only used 3 main Rods,an Old,Shakespeare,an Old Shimano & a new Sumo as I've been mainly night Fishing lately & haven't been using my top line Rods.
The other Rods I mainly use for day Fishing & on Trips.
Brian.

theboz

Reaction score
Out of all of them I'd have to say my old Fenwick Streamer Iron Feather 5wt. How this rod survived the abuse it took over the years is beyond me . But its caught a load of fish and always done the job . Keep on saying I'm gonna retire it to my wall and every year I fond an excuse to use it. Some old things never die!

wabi

Reaction score
I keep one rod behind the seat of my truck for those unexpected opportunities and I try to pick a rod that will cover most of the likely scenarios. Usually targeting panfish and bass under 3 pounds (some a lot under).
I've tried everything from 3wt to 6wt rods in lengths from 6'6" to 9', but right now there's a new 8'6" 4wt in the truck and it seems to be very good as the "all round" contender.
The rod (Echo Solo) casts well with a wf4f or a wf5f line, so on those windy days it's still good by simply uplining to the 5wt line, and so far this spring the 5wt line has been required on all my outings. :rolleyes: