family friendly destinations???

penjak

Reaction score
Ok, here's the set up. I have a 4 yr old girl and 8 month old twins. I'm looking for a lodge,resort, etc that i can take the family, have plenty for them to do while i hit the water. What i usually end up doing is going to a place like Mammoth Lakes, Park City, Salt Lake city. The wife and kids have plenty to do and i can find places are fish from there. But if there were a lodge that caters to my situation, that would be ideal. Anyone know of a place? ?

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Good point Fred. penjak, not knowing your limits try google and go to Rock Bridge, Missouri. I know you would be more than pleased. You can fly into Sprigfield, St Louis, or even Little Rock and rent a car or drive the whole distance.
Eddy

L

Liphookedau

Hi penjak.
Both Fred & Eddy have raised valid points,however The main one is you don't want to be spending vast ammounts of time driving with small children as everyone becomes irritable & tired,then you think why didn't we enjoy our time away.
If you could find somewhere about 4-5 hours absolute max,you will all enjoy it better,you can always go further when The Children are older.
Good Luck.
Brian.

penjak

Reaction score
Fortunately, my kids like driving. I live in Southern California, and have driven our first kid to Salt Lake City a couple of times when she was younger. The twins have been on 5 - 6 hr trips.We are not opposed to flying at all. We have family in New York ( The Bronx ) and they are putting on the pressure for us to fly up there and visit so flying anywhere continental is completely ok.
Chances are we might not be able to pull it off this year but like to have all the details worked out well in advanced when possible. Will look at Rock Ridge right now, thanks.

vitesse304

Reaction score
Vail.

The ideal summer destination for families.

Summer events, concert events, shopping, horseback riding, atv tours, hiking, biking, gondola rides, etc...

It's not only a winter destination...plus, lodging rates drop dramatically in the summer.

This gives you the chance to fish the Eagle, Gore Creek, The Colorado, The Blue, Roaring Fork, The Pan and there's a few high mountain lakes and creeks that are just a hike away.

Spend the day at Glenwood Springs, drop the kids and wife off at Glenwood Canyon Park for the tour and get your fish on! Only an hour up the road.

Or head to Silverthorne to fish the Blue and drop the wife and kids off at the outlet mall.

Or drop the wife and kids off for a horseback ride on the way to the Colorado and get a guided float trip. You could even book a float trip on the Eagle or the Blue depending on flows!

If you stay in Vail, you can fish right through town so if you get the itch you can get a line wet a few steps away from where you stay.

I think you are limiting yourself in a lodge situation...most lodges cater to fishing or hunting and thus have activites around that. You don't want your kids and wife sitting in a lodge bored while you are out fishing.

penjak

Reaction score
I agree completely regarding the family being bored at a lodge. That was my problem. Every lodge I have looked at is very limited other that horseback riding, and hiking. I have a couple cousins that live in Fort Collins. Looks like it might be time to pay them a visit ( a short one, ) and explore some of the waters mentioned above. Thanks, gonna print out this page and map everything out

vitesse304

Reaction score
I agree completely regarding the family being bored at a lodge. That was my problem. Every lodge I have looked at is very limited other that horseback riding, and hiking. I have a couple cousins that live in Fort Collins. Looks like it might be time to pay them a visit ( a short one, ) and explore some of the waters mentioned above. Thanks, gonna print out this page and map everything out
If you're heading to the fort, check out rocky mountain national park. The fishing up there is awesome. Lots of water, with opportunities to get into a bunch of fish. I would stay in Estes Park, lots for the family to do up there. Don't forget to visit the Stanley Hotel and go on the haunted tour.