Intro and pontoon question

mowthat

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. First let me start by introducing myself. My name is Jake and I live in SE Idaho. I have recently picked up flyfishing after years of bait and lure fishing. I am fishing with a sage launch 9ft. 6 wt. and a #2 ross flystart reel. I normally fish anything from: rivers like the Snake and Portnuef to reservoirs like American Falls and the Blackfoot to small creeks and streams such as upper portunuef and devils creek. Mostly for rainbows and small mouth and whatever else takes the bait. I do a little wading, boat fishing and float tubing.
I have recently started looking into a pontoon setup that would be capable of going up river as well as traveling pretty good distances across large reservoirs and lakes. Here is a link to the pontoon I have been looking at: Cabela's -- North Fork Outdoors McKenzie Drifter 2-Person Pontoon Boat

And here is the link to the motor I have been looking at: outboard - Briggs & Stratton

My questions are: How would a pontoon like that handle a motor like that? Is it too much/not enough? Would the front have to be counterweighted to balance out better? Is this completely ridiculous?
Thanks you guys for your time. I know I'll have more questions, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Anything you can share on the matter is much appreciated.

Jake

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jake,

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post. There is a lot of great fishing in your area.

I have posted a picture of the pontoon boat you are asking about.

You are asking a lot from one boat. I am not sure if this is what you want. Here is what I think. You should figure out your primary use and chose a boat that best meets that requirement. In the part of the Snake you fish do they use jet boats or drift boats? You may be better off with a drift boat. Some drift boats are equipped with a motor. It is not a great boat with a motor due to the extreme rocker used in a drift boat. It will get you back up the river to re-float a section of river. It would also work in a lake.

As to the McKenzie Drifter. It will be well built and should work with a 5hp motor. I would check to make sure it is rated for a motor and what size. The oars sold with the boat are too short and you should up grade to 9' oars. The rowing position is too far back and it will be hard to spin the boat from that position. It does look like you have some adjustment and could move the rear position forward. The problem is you will put the weight bias toward the front and this would affect the rowing performance. The oars should be as close to the center of the boat as you can get.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! The rod and reel combo you got sounds like a good one, though I bet you'll want a 3 or 4wt for smaller streams and to feel the fish more. It will also do better at making light presentations on smooth water, should you get to go fish the Railroad Ranch section of the Henry's Fork someday.

mowthat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Frank: Both drift and jet boats are used in the section I usually fish. But there is some fishing down river to the west that I would like to be able to access that is pretty shallow. As for the drift boat, in my opinion, it is less versatile than the pontoon. I wouldn't want to be out on a large reservoir or lake when the wind picked up in a drift boat.
I wonder how far the prop would protrude into the water mounted on the back of the pontoon.

Cliff: I have enjoyed using the rod very much, and though I am just begining, I feel the rod and reel compliment each other nicely. The flystart reel by ross is deffinately their econ-line reel but works very well for everything I have done with it. The rod and reel came in a package recomended to me by guide at an outfitter in Helena, Mt. I told him the kind of fishing I would be doing mainly and went with that. I do see myself wanting a lighter wieght in the future.

thanks for the replies. I have some more research to do.

Jake

Fishstick

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! The rod and reel combo you got sounds like a good one, though I bet you'll want a 3 or 4wt for smaller streams and to feel the fish more. It will also do better at making light presentations on smooth water, should you get to go fish the Railroad Ranch section of the Henry's Fork someday.
There aint no small trout in Southeast Idaho.....:wink:

Welcome aboard mowthat. What part of SE Idaho do you live?

mowthat

Reaction score
I live in Pocatello. And there are some pretty good sized trout around here. I was out at a reservoir called Chesterfield last week and had pretty good luck with rainbows 15-16 in. and some little guys around 10-11 in.

Coster

Reaction score
I went to school in Logan, Ut. We would go up to Daniels Res and Treasurton Res a bunch in Southern Idaho. Those are some great lakes. Your not to far from the Snake as well. I really love it up there.

Fishstick

Reaction score
I live in Pocatello. And there are some pretty good sized trout around here. I was out at a reservoir called Chesterfield last week and had pretty good luck with rainbows 15-16 in. and some little guys around 10-11 in.
I'll be heading that direction in a few months. Retirement coming quick, and I've family in Filer Idaho. Were moving to that area for a couple of years till the last kid graduates and moves on. After that, back to Alaska where I lived in the mid 80's. Yup, your in trout heaven compared to where I'm at right now..........

TheFlyMaster

Reaction score
Hi mowthat,

I own a Dave Scadden pontoon, great bunch of folks at that shop. I was actually surprised I was talking directly to Dave the first time I called for some info.

I have the same one your looking at except I got the bladderless H2 series. It might be minor, but I like the fact that it doesn't have rings on the ends of the pontoons, less things for your line to get caught on.

I use a 50lb thrust transom mount trolling motor on mine, but you need to use a piece of 2x4 as well and they designed the back of the plate to fit a 2x4. At first it might feel a little flimsy and probably could be beefed up a little, but it holds up. You might need to brace the plate a little more if putting a stronger heavier motor on though, just call North Fork and they will tell you what you need to do.

The boat can also be converted to a 3 man with an extra seat frame. I've done this alot with clients and is actually quite stable. the trick with bigger pontoons (2 man and up), especially when using a motor is balancing it out. You start figuring it out your first few times out, but you need to factor in your own weight, then also decide how much you will be standing, because it puts more weight in the front when standing up in it.

But overall I'm very impressed with his boats, been beating the heck out of it chasing smallies in Northern Minnesota and still running strong. Up where I live, you don't ever see 2man or bigger pontoons, let alone one persons, just hasn't caught on yet, I think there might be just 2 of them up here. You should see some of the looks I get and all the questions I get from people :smile:

Good luck and tight lines everyone!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi FlyMaster,

Thanks for posting that nice video. When does your partner get to fish?:)

That is a sweet setup for that type of water. That boat doesn't look long enough for a three seater but I guess it has to do with the type of water. What model is the boat?

Frank

TheFlyMaster

Reaction score
I'm the one usually doing the rowing, which I also enjoy, but once in awhile it's nice to be in the front seat :frogdance

It's the McKenzie Drifter X2 bladderless. I also have the extra frame to make it into a 3 man with plenty of space for one day floats. The X3 would be better for longer floats for 3 persons.

When I go single I use a Skykomish Sunrise ST.