Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: A Day of Firsts

1. Default A Day of Firsts

So today was my first solo trip fly fishing. Took me quite a while to actually get everything all tied up. I am sure that will speed up with practice. After a few casts I managed to toss out a big jumble of mono and flies. So, after feeling a bit discouraged, I just cut the line loose and retied everything. At least I didn't lose my flies. After that little set back, I actually manged to catch some fish. I pulled in 3 white perch and was feeling pretty good about myself. Then the big guy upstairs decided I deserved a treat and I hooked a nice fat 12 inch rainbow. Maybe not the monster some of you are used to, but for me that was pretty exciting.

On my way home I decided to stop by the fly shop and talk about my trip, but I somehow didn't stop at talking. I managed to drive away with some fly tying equipment. I just tied my first San Juan worm. I figured it was a good simple pattern to start with.

All in all, a pretty fantastic fly fishing day.

2. Likes wannafish, tbblom liked this post

Default Re: A Day of Firsts

Sounds like a great day. The only thing I like better than fishing alone is fishing with my son. You have also broken a new barrier by being able to fly fish alone and catch fish. The next step is to catch a fish on a fly you tied. SF

Blog Entries

First I want to say 'welcome to the forum', I don't think I've seen your posts before so it time to say hi. Second, a 12" trout is not small, actually I would say that average fish are 9 - 10 inch and the catch of a foot long rainbow is always a happening no matter who you are or where you are. Third, the fly tying will be very rewarding for you in many ways and in a year or so you'll really get what I mean by that for sure.

So there you go, I hope that you'll continue posting and viewing the forum threads and never hesitate to ask any questions that you may have as time goes on.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Welcome to the forum nmmay, hope to be reading more of your adventures in the future. Ard is correct, a 12" rainbow is a nice fish for anyone...Congrats. I know you are not going to like what I have to say but you should work on untangling those nests when they happen instead of just cutting it off. It's amazing how fast you get at detangling once you have done it a few times. Also gives you time to vent your frustration and start thinking about what went wrong in the cast and how to correct it.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Welcome and congratulations. Now that you've caught the dreaded desease that we all have here's just one thing that i'll mention. You cant cure it so all you can do is treat it for the rest of your life. Sounds like your off to a good start. If you like the 12" stuff then hang on. It gets better. What size rig are ya using? Now ya gotta set ya up a tying bench. Look over the forum and there are some flies shown that some of the really good tyers have posted. Some good ones is an understatement. Been flippen a flyrod since 12. I'm somewhat new here also. I've just got a bigger mouth than most. Did i mention i aint bashful? Jump right in and get your feet wet. Glad to have ya buddy.
    Eddy

tangles= par for the course; they will happen less frequently, but I'm pretty sure even the pros get tangled.

It just gives the fish time to come out of their hiding spots; hold really still while you are re-rigging and sometimes the fish will swim right up to your feet.
    San Juan is a great first fly. Copper johns are great too, even a messy one will catch fish (and they imitate a bunch of possible bugs). Start writing down pattern names and do a google search for videos. Wooly buggers are another great fly to have in abundance (especially if you like fish >12"), and are pretty easy to learn. For great fly patterns, check out the ' fly tier corner' under the main forum listings.

PS, I caught a dozen stockers yesterday, nothing >11", congrats on a good day and some nice fish!

Instagram page @tblom77