Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The one that got away

Default The one that got away

I have officially entered the one that got away club. I was out fishing with a buddy and he pointed out what he thought was a Talapia. It ended up being a very large peacock bass. At first he wasn't interested but if you bounce a fly in its face for a long while they get pissed. He bit on i set the hook and the fight began. Not 5 seconds after the hook set my super high drag setting proved to be my demise. This peacock snapped 20 pound tippet like spiderweb. It was a serious adrenalin rush.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The one that got away

I feel ya,

You should get into the habit of fishing with a relatively light drag set and train yourself to increase the tension as needed to keep control. I was able to land quite a few very large fish last year in swift currents using a 15 pound leader, you'll get the hang of it

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Well at least it was an interesting experience. I'm sure you have figured out to leave the drag a little loose and let the fish wear down before trying to bring him to the net. I do the same thing when chasing big trout, they are just too powerful to have the drag set too tight.
    Larry

Fishing in Florida is like Forest Gumps box of chocolates. Hate to hear you lost a big one and there is no comfort knowing we all do but the good news is you now know where he hangs out. I too, set the drag low and adjust to the fish.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

'The one that got away' ???? Nope, not me-- I've never lost a good one. In fact, I land each and every fish I hook into.

(I'm not being entirely truthful.....)

Sorry to hear about the one that got away-- but set that drag light, and you will personally meet and release him soon enough.

The only problem is the last time i saw him and his buddies there was 6 months ago.

I had the same thing happen to me while pitching flies to some catfish and carp. I set the hook and the line flew through my fingers and as soon as it hit the reel, the fish and my ONLY fly just like that one were gone. I caught a glimpse of this huge catfish fin and all that was running through my mind was the theme from Jaws.....

Blog Entries

Yep, definitely had one of those days! Sorry to hear about it Robert! Like Ard said, nothing wrong with starting with a light drag setting. I fish often with 5x tippet so I end up doing a lot of palming of the spool rather than relying on mechanical drag and worrying, can always tighten up if necessary. With other stuff, like in the salt or with carp, I'll definitely go heavier on the drag however.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

The way I do my drag is on a flat pull with a scale. A good scale. I set it so it can never break unless it hangs on submerged junk, and then NEVER mess with it again till I put it away. Then I back the drag off completely so I don't get a flat spot in the drag.

I've only lost one truly enormous fish for its specie that I've hooked. But I can't say that I've ever hooked any other truly enormous fish for its specie. That was a LM bass I hooked two or three years ago on a huge popper with pinched down barb. I had it on long enough for my nephew to grab his camera and point it toward the direction of the fish. Then it jumped, and my nephew was so startled and awed by its size, he never pushed the camera button, just stared at it slack-jawed. Then it was off.

It was one of those fish that a picture of it would have had the fishing magazines fighting over - a real freak.

That canal is now closed to the public for at least two years while the govt. spends our money trying to clean up the poisoned water faster than agri-business can continue poisoning it.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast