Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FROGS on a fly?

Default FROGS on a fly?

No not a frog pattern. I've done this and it sure is a handfull. Take your longest rod, some use a telescopic crappie rod, and tie ya a line on the end. You dont need a reel. Pick a fly that will resemble something the frogs are lapping up. In a commercial growing operation they have low lights strung around the ponds so the frogs will get natural, free food. Of course we all know the lites attract bugs. In the past i have used a small piece of red flannel over the hook. Just shine your lite on the frog and then dangle the fly in front of the frog and hang on. Things are fixin to get , lets say "Jerky". One of several ways i've used to take frogs. I guess my favorite is the "Grabber" with a set of spring loaded jaws. The other is a gig but after awhile the gig gets dull after jabbing it in the rocks. Some shoot em with a .22 but too many get away by that method. Try this if ya want a fun time. Pretty good eating is an understatement. Bullfrogs that is.
    Eddy

Default Re: FROGS on a fly?

I've caught a bat once on a fly. Didn't eat it though

We aren't much into eating frogs up here in New Hampshire, but keep this in mind because I have a funny story to share.

Years ago, my (then 10 years old) son, Patrick, and I were fishing on a remote hike-in pond. He'd gone downshore, and I was busy staying put and trying to see what I could fish up. Patrick was slinging a 3" floating rapala, and he was catching a few little smallies close to shore.

After a little while he starts yelling, "Dad! DAD! I caught a frog!"

I yell back, "Hey thats great, buddy, now let him go."

Patrick yelled, "But Dad, I CAUGHT a frog!"

Now I was intrigued and ran down the shore to see what he was on about. When I came up on him, he was bent over, examining something in the water. His chartreuse rapala had a frog dangling by its TONGUE, skewered by one of the treble hooks! Apparently the frog thought that rap was something good to eat and lashed out at it. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

I dislodged the hook from the frog's sticky pink tongue, and Patch let him go. We'll never forget that. Even now at the ripe old age of 29, he'll still mention it.
    "You're not old, you've simply aquired a patina." - Swirlchaser

I used to fly cast to frogs when I was about Kibby's son's age.
    It's not as much fun as you might think
    A little disturbing actually
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Fly frogging is a blast! I've done it a couple of times. It is semi-classic dry fly fishing.

2wt rod and any kind of dry fly that looks like a worthy meal for a frog.... Cast the fly within 18" or so of the frog's nose. Twitch it a little if he doesn't pounce on it, and then he WILL pounce on it.

Don't set the hook immediately in the big splash though. He needs a second or two to reel his big ol' tongue back into his mouth. He'll use his "hands" to stuff his tongue and the fly into his mouth, and then you can set the hook. The battle is on now. On a 2wt, it's a pretty good fight.

And then there's dinner.

You've got it guys. Those frogs are very aggressive. I've been fishing before with a spinning rig and a frog would swim up to the bank and set there about head deep. Ya throw on the other side of him with your plastic red worm and twitch it by him and he'll get face down after that thing. I've had em try and eat a red and white bobber in younger days, like a hog on a corn cob. Shane, a 2 wt? Yep that would be a handfull. That same fly system can be done during daylite hrs also.
    Eddy

I just gotta tell this one. ....I was fishing BG on the fly many years ago and it was almost dark with still a little dayglow in the sky. This was just a small gravel pit that was no longer used and had some big bass and gills. I hooked a small gill and was dragging him in and just as it came on shore a bull frog followed him right up on the bank. The frog was very aggressive and challenged me for the possession of the the frog. He had no fear of me. I am sure if frogs could talk I would have gotten quite an ear full. I have never since found a frog that aggressive.

Red San Juan Worms...That's all I gotta say.

I'm with Riptide...disturbing
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

10. Default Re: FROGS on a fly?

yea, this kind of rubs me the wrong way
    The tug is the drug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast