Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tippet to Leader Knots ?

Default Re: Tippet to Leader Knots ?

Thanks I'll give that a look.

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    In the Summer 2010 Issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal (pgs. 38-40), Dave Whitlock presented an article titled "ONE KNOT"...for all your fly line connections. That knot was the Uni-Knot...

Double Uni Knot - Instructions

I have been using it for about 27 years and have never looked back...About eight years ago I also started using these for my leader to tippet connection, mono and flurocarbon:

I save a lot of money on leaders...

PT/TB
    Thats a great video and great knot!

We tie that knot (only with two wraps each side, rather than five, end-to-end in 7.0, 7.5, 8.0. and/or 9.0 mm static kernmantle cord in 44" and 56" lengths, to make double prusiks for grabbing 1/2" rescue rope. Even in rope rescue that knot is called a double fisherman. Double Fisherman's Knot | How to tie a Double Fisherman's Bend (Grapevine Knot) | Rescue Knots
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

I'll toss in my 2 cents- I know loads of people get very particular about things such as this. Sometimes I think the rituals we go through have more to do with appeasing the fish gods that actually making a gigantic difference.

In my 20+ I have decided on a couple things- One is I tie my own leaders with Maxima, each section with a blood knot. Mind you I have no real formula, just taper it down with perhaps a tad longer butt sections for heavier weight rods and a more even taper on light weight rods.

The tippet is set up in a loop to loop, I make the leader end loop with a perfection loop and the tippet loop on 4X or lighter is made with a figure eight knot. My knot choices are this way because I find a figure eight on light tippet to be a stronger knot that a perfection loop. Heavier material and the knot doesn't seem to matter.

There is a million different ways and they will all work-

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Blood knots are probably the best, but for quick and easy on the stream I like the triple surgeons knot, very simple especially with my aging eyes.
    +1
    Also try furled leaders with a ring. Good leader performance and generally only two knots away from a repaired leader.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Blog Entries

Hi Russell,

Where you been?

attila, I blood knot everything even the tippet. I don't change flies often so I don't worry about changing tippets.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I do loop-to-loop connections with a double surgeon's knot. Otherwise, I just use tippet rings and connect both sections with an Orvis knot.

Rivers and furled leaders w/tippet ring, clinch knots work and have plenty of strength. On stillwater, I use the loop to loop. Straight leader with a perfection loop on the leader to main line.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Loop to loop fly line to leader (perfection knots on both sides or existing loops on lines and furled leaders), triple surgeons knot leader to tippet. On furled leaders with a tippet ring, I tie the tippet on with a uni-knot.

d
    ex·pe·ri·ence noun \ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s\

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

I use a Fast-tye tool and do back to back nail knots. that tool makes these so easy and I rarely have any issues. Its not something that I think would be a good thing to try without the tool though. makes a nice tiny and smooth knot that has both ends coming out nice and straight.
    JJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast