Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Arctic Grayling drawing

Whew...what a challenge this one was! So much detail on those little buggers. Each scale was hand brushed and then highlighted with a pitt pastel pencil. Turned out nice though.

The colour is a nightmare to try and replicate. They have so much going on it's hard to focus on a small patch in which to focus on but at the same time, make sure it all flows together.

In the end....I like it. That's all that matters I guess. :P

Can't wait to put my hands on one of these buggers this summer! This drawing is based off the Great Bear Lake strain. I used a photo I had on my hard drive of a beast of a male that measured 25-inches! I then used taxidermy pictures and underwater photos to piece together how I wanted it. Problem with grayling is its hard to capture the colour when you pull em outta the water. So using underwater photos as reference allowed me to analyze the colours more closely.

I really want to chuck some mouse patterns at these guys. I've heard from other guides up there that their guests just haul em in, 50-100 fish days...all on dry flies! Unbelievable!

Nick

Blog Entries

Default Re: Arctic Grayling drawing

Nice job Nick! The colors in the fins in particular always seem fantastic, so I think you did a good job capturing the effect! Here's hoping I get to fish for them this year in Sweden *fingers crossed*
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Another awesome looking one Nick. If you opened a gallery I would be first in line. I was in the Keys last week and got to see first hand saltwater fish art by Jorge Martinez . Told my son that between your freshwaterstuff and his saltwater Ive become an art enthusiast .And your both fly fisherman . Thanks for sharing. Great art!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

That is another awesome piece of art by you..I never get tired of looking at your art..
    SHANNON

Wow, thanks a lot guys! Appreciate the compliments greatly!

Nick

Blog Entries

Excellent job Nick It's always a great pleasure to look at your drawings.Thanks for sharing

Very nice work! I was wondering what methods you used and whether it was a physical painting or digital art. So do you use an air brush or a paint brush? Very interesting result whichever technique it is. I like it.

I do pencil drawings, and I'm planning to do some paintings as soon as I catch up on my waiting list of drawings.

Thanks again!

The fish is hand-drawn using watercolour pencil crayons. I use a brush and smooth out the colour. I continue layering on colour until I get the desired depth.

Then I take a photo with my camera, load it onto the computer, delete the background (white-space which is the paper), and add the graphics, shadows, etc, using photoshop. So its kind of a hybrid, traditional art meets digital art.

To give ya an idea, here's a photo without the digital background.

OK, cool. Very creative. No wonder I couldn't tell if it was digital or not.

One word: AMAZING!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast