Barbed hooks? What's your opinion?

fishalong

Reaction score
Recently got some heat for displaying my infliction towards barbed hooks (and nets for that matter).

I thought it would be a great conversation to bring up, (and I'm just curious how alone I am with the issue).

Do you de-barb your hook, why or why not?

I think it's interesting that most parts of Canada have made barbed hooks illegal, yet I have never heard too much commotion about them within the States.

Love to hear everyone's opinion.

wannafish

Reaction score
I will be using barbless for the first time this spring but I've lately heard an argument in favour of barbed that claimed they do less harm because the barb keeps the hook in place whereas the barbless hook supposedly works a larger hole.

dhayden

Reaction score
barbless always

Nets..whatever the person needs to land and release the fish with the least trauma.

I've seen fish more damaged without nets than with them, it's experiece that decides

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Many of us have beat this horse in another thread already, I can't find the link but its on here somewhere.

However, I don't think I've heard arguments in favor of or against the use of nets on the site. I'm not sure how you could land big-ish fish without a net in a manner that wouldn't inflicting serious exhaustion upon them. I typically don't fish with a net when I know the water I'm in holds 14" or less trout; they are very easy to bring "to hand". It is much harder to bring in a hard fighting 20" trout. I'd say that you would almost double your fight by trying to get your hands on them rather than a net.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Unless it's a matter of following the law, if a person chooses to use barbed hooks, then that should not be anyone else's business. It's like choosing to use bait, flies or lures. It's your choice. Someone else does not have to like it, agree with it or do it, but as long as it's legal I have no issue with it, provided others are not doing stupid things, like ripping hooks out of a fish they cannot keep. That becomes an entirely different issue.

For me, regardless of tackle, not just for flies, I debarb most of my hooks, even trebles on lures. However, sometimes I forget. Somewhere that requires barbless or debarbed hooks by law, I make sure I'm within the law.

I cannot say I ever recall any occasion where I've lost a fish due to there being no barb, so it's an easy choice for me. I've also been stuck enough times to know that a barbless or debarbed hook is so much easier to remove from my flesh, that it makes little sense to use a barbed hook.

I own two nets, one is very large, and is only used occasionally when Striper fishing or for larger catfish. The other is a small C & R type net that cradles the fish. I got it primarily for panfish, because I got tired of getting stuck with fins. I would use this type of net if I did any trout fishing, but with C & R, I would make sure to keep the trout in the water. Improper use of any net can likely be as much of an issue as anything we do.

I feel that the type of netting used is more of an issue too than whether a net is or isn't used. I've seen folks pick up fish around the mid section & squeeze so hard trying keep a grip, that they surely do some damage. So even not using a net can cause harm. It's all in how you handle the fish.

The old single strand nylon type nets that are typically used for crabs or the cotton knotted nets are not good for fish, they can cut them or remove too much of their outside coating and can do too much damage. A net with a wide material, like some of the rubber coated nets, the "C & R" types are much better if you're going to use a net at all.

Still, regardless of how you choose to handle a fish, with a net or not, you have to use some common sense about it! That, is indeed a big issue these days!

attila

Reaction score
I like barbless on size 12 hooks and larger, smaller than size 14 I can't see the harm. I've been wrong before though :icon_smil

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Can anyone on here tell me just how fragile a trout is? I thought I read in a post of a plac where hatchery trout were dumped off of a 50ft bridge into the river? If that's the case, a little squeeze shouldn't hurt them too awful much. I'm not condoning superfluous squeezing, but what is the truth of the matter?

blueline

Reaction score
I go barbless = easier to get out of my ear!:)

bigger flys like PIKE and STRIPERS most salt water I will leave the barbs on thats about 10% of my fishing though

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Can anyone on here tell me just how fragile a trout is? I thought I read in a post of a plac where hatchery trout were dumped off of a 50ft bridge into the river? If that's the case, a little squeeze shouldn't hurt them too awful much. I'm not condoning superfluous squeezing, but what is the truth of the matter?
The times I've witnessed stocking, it was done at a short distance if dumped. The truck usually has some type of chute or large diameter hose. Otherwise the fish are carefully placed in containers & carried to places along the stream, & released by hand. But as you say, it probably happens in less than favorable manners too sometimes. I really don't know how much damage such releases may cause.

I'm sure we've all heard the new's reports of human babies falling off 2nd or 3rd floor balconies without any harm. Most animals can take a certain amount of rough treatment, and sometimes even in extreme cases, like the babies, it's surprising there is no or little damage, but that's not the point.

I've seen folks squeeze many species of fish until the vent was pushed way out & even bleeding from the vent. When that type of damage occurs, you can bet the fish stand little chance of surviving if released. But, some may anyway. If they're putting them on a stringer to take home & eat, it really doesn't matter much.

The point is to use your head about how you handle any species you do not wish to harm & wish to release to be caught another day. There is going to be some harm, even if it's just the small hole from the hook, it's fishing, but we can do things that minimize it, by how we choose to handle a fish.

kevin2

Reaction score
I think it is great to be a conservationalist. However, in the end, the reason to fish is to catch, catch the fish, eat the fish. That is how fishing started for me, how fishing started in the first place in the very beginning.

As for flyfishing, I've been fly fishing for 20+ years. I've eaten 2 trout in ALL that time that I've been fishing. I prefer catch and release. It is a selfish thing mostly, as I think that returning them to the river will give me another chance at them OR their offspring another day & I like to think that they'll reproduce & give other fisherman a chance to enjoy them, be it to catch and release oR to enjoy on the BBQ.

When releasing, I try to use my pliers to clamp onto the hook, as not to even touch the trout, and then turn the hook and allow the fish to slip off & quickly back to the river, a little trick I learned from a guide years ago. I carry a net IF I get a really big fish. Why? Take a quick photo maybe & it is a great place to give him a place to recover IF he's all spent from a long summer battle WITHoUT having my hands getting all over him & harming his protective coating.

I like the idea of leaving the waters open to actually catch and eat. I know it is hard to believe, but I know people actually go out to catch fish to eat. I think it is a good clean way to conduct the way you live. Beats eating frozen fish from the local chain grocery store. Got to eat something. My wife actually gets pissed at me for not bringing home my trout catch! Makes zero sense to her!

So, if you are looking to eat the fish, got to have a barb I'd think. The next thing we'll be doing it fishing without hooks all together! Just put some bait on the end of the line & then feed the fish, you know, just feel them on the line for a bit. Very exciting! I can hear it now, somewhere in the future, they'll be talking about when they used to call this popular outdoor activity of "feeding fish", "catching fish" back olden days AND they actually ate the fish! OOW!

logic_factory

Reaction score
majority of the time i use a barbless hooks as i am almost entirely catch and release.
my reasoning; i figure their are others that get as much out of fishing as i and i would like to allow them the experience as they may have very well afforded me; i.e. a reciprocation of sorts.

i will repeat the distinction that dhayden had made about the use of nets. some fisherman have a blind allegiance to the notion of no nets that may very well do more damage via an exhausting fight. this is a grey area to me as i do not understand which variable plays a larger bearing on fish mortality; exhaustion or compromised immune system via improper handling. i tend to error on the side of using no net but have not seen any data that suggests this is the more rational decision.

wt bash

Reaction score
I go barbless if for any other reason than to save my hackles! I don't carry a net these days, and with a barbless hook the hook will slip out as I leader the fish in when I give a bit of slack. I've learned to tail a fish pretty quickly (if its a larger fish) I don't waste time in the fight and that key to a fish's health. I see alot of folks on the water acting like Jimmy Houston with the rod flying all over the place, scrambling to put a 14" fish on the reel, and then flailling all over try to net the thing. Just be quick have faith in your tackle and knots and if you need a pic, guide the fish right into a wet hand, snap your shot stay away from the gills.

Reactions: Ard

db cooper

Reaction score
I use barbed hooks whenever possible...i need all the help i can get! I had gone barbless in the past and found that i lost more fish and i could find no discernable diference in fish condition. In the end they both had a hole in their mouth. Do what makes YOU happy.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Barbless for everything larger than #18 and I carry net most of the time, too.

I de-barb everything not because I worry about the pain the fish endures rather it is just a lot easier to unhook a fish, duh, particularly on the occasion when a nymph gets swallowed. If I lose fish because I don't have a barbed hook, so be it. I guess I should learn to hook and play the fish better.

I also don't see the controversy one way or the other. As long as you have a hemo or pliers handy and you can remove the hook quickly, I don't care. Fumbling around yanking on hook with fingers while the fish is out of the water and in the "death grip"... now that bugs me, whether your hooks are barbed or not.

What is anyone's issue with a net? Maybe I shouldn't even ask.

mrfzx

Reaction score
A different view point.....

For fish like Tarpon, where the mouth is incredibly tough to drive a hook into (try driving your hook into an OLD tire), we prefer barbless hooks. Maybe its just over thinking an issue, but it seems to me it takes less force to drive a hook point in when I don't have to make the hole even bigger to allow the barb to pass into the flesh, cartilage, or whatever. Now I am not talking about small hooks here....I tie my Tarpon bugs on 4/0 Tiemco's.

If the hook slips free when they jump, that's okay with me. The strike, hook set, and the initial run and jumping them is the fun part. The sock-em, tug of war that ensues is just plain work! For the record though, we really have not noticed an increased loss rate between my barbed and de-barbed era, but we really do think our solid hook-up percentage is better.

The "we" is me, my dad-in-law, and our favorite guide "Speedy" in Costa Rica.

shrek82

Reaction score
I have started using strictly barbless. The reason being, driving half an hour back to civilization with a #4 clouser minnow stuck where your ear meets your head is no fun. :(

planettrout

Reaction score
Barbless only...the wardens in the Eastern Sierras carry cotton balls...if any is left when they run it over the hook - one faces a HUGE fine...If I de-barb on the water, I run a file over the bump. Those guys are SERIOUS

PT/TB :eek: