New in Jacksonvill, Fl

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to this forum and new to flyfishing. I just purchased my first fly rod. A 9 ft. 8wt. 4 pc. Redington rod with a 7/8 graphite composite reel. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I will fish in-shore saltwater targeting reds, trout, flounder, jacks, blues, ladyfish, and anything that will bite and fight. I have been a spinning reel enthusiast since I was a kid. I just recently developed this desire to flyfish.
That said, I have a question. I have been using a borrowed 5/6 wt rod and reel to catch mullet and and croakers in a nearby creek. When flyfishing with line stripped and laying at my feet, what should I do when I get a strike? Should I let the fish take the slack out, or reel in the slack? I have been pinching the line against the rod with my rod hand and reeling in the slack. Am I doing it right?
Thanks.

OregonStreams

Reaction score
When flyfishing with line stripped and laying at my feet, what should I do when I get a strike? Should I let the fish take the slack out, or reel in the slack? I have been pinching the line against the rod with my rod hand and reeling in the slack. Am I doing it right?
Thanks.

Hellfighter.. Welcome to your new obsession. What you are describing is a fine way to play a small fish. A really big fish makes it easy since a big fish will pull out the line and put itself on the reel. I usually lightly pinch the line between two fingers with my reel hand and let a really big fish pull out the line until it goes on the reel. A really small fish is also easy. I just pinch the line with my rod hand and reel up the slack. The problem is with the tweener fish. The best way to handle a tweener fish is to do the double pinch, sorta pinching the outgoing line against the rod while pinching the remaining line between the fourth and fifth fingers while reeling up the slack. This keeps tension on the line as you reel up the line. This is an advanced techique that is arguably better than just reeling up the free slack without tension, but a lot more complicated to learn.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group!

OS covered basically all you need to know. Just let em have the line when they're able to take it, and strip in the others.

What flies are you using to catch mullet? I'd love to be able to catch the flying 3lb horse mullet that are all over the Corpus Christi to Rockport area.

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
For catching mullet, try any trout fly. That is what was suggested to me, and what I have used. Since I practice C&R, I enjoy catching anything that will bite.

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
So far I have only tried dry trout flies. I have a new Redington 8 wt. 9ft. rod with a Redington 7/8/9 composite reel that I just ordered and received. What saltwater patterns would you recommend for trout, reds, jacks, blues, etc. for in-shore fishing? Thanks.

P.S. This has so far been the best flyfishing forum I have used.