Beginner Help: Redington vs Cabela's

stevo56

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum just as I am new to the sport of fly fishing. I am currently enrolled in a class on the subject, but I am looking to purchase my own rod and reel outfit. Right now I have two options in mind:

Redington Pursuit Combo 4pc 9' 6wt
or
Cabela's Wind River Rod 4pc 9' 6wt w/ Cabela's Prestige Plus Fly Reel

The Redington comes with a case and prespooled line/backing and I can get it for about $150.

The Cabela's Rod and Reel are both currently on sale and will run about $65. However I will need to purchase line, backing, leaders, and tippet material, bringing the total up to $140. This will not come with a case as far as I can tell.

I feel like the Cabela's product is a better deal, getting to pick my own line and getting some extra backing and leaders out of it all. However I like the Pursuit rod more than the Wind River. I've always had good experience with Cabela's products and feel like I get a good bang for my buck, especially when they are on sale (as they are now). And I feel like the wiser choice would be going for the better deal.

Does anyone have any advice, insight into these product lines, or reccomendations they would like to share?

bucktail

Reaction score
Well hello there I myslf started with a reddington crosswater combo wich is like a step down from the pursuit. I highly reccomend it from my experience you get some real quality for a decent price. I now also have their re2fly combo as well and love it. For cabelas you should read the reviews on it or maybe see what brand manufactures it. In the end go with your gut but im sure some more people will chip in to help you reach a more informed decsion. Good luck! :punk:

tbblom

Reaction score
I have two cabelas rods, and I beat the living shinola out of them almost daily. They seem to take my abuse very well (jammed into trees, fallen on, banged with split shot and cone heads). I did break one cabelas RLS rod 1st cast out of the box, but they sent a replacement no questions asked within a week. The replacement has now landed me a 26" carp, a few 20"+ trout, and numerous bass (see dream stream thread in coldwater for the trout).
I have a cabelas RLS reel that came with the RLS rod. Seems okay, cheap metal, nice drag control range, pretty design. Time will tell, but I think the nice drag is most important.
The lines that come with the packages are dirt cheap, but I use them until they die anyway. I hate to say it but expensive fly lines do work well, especially when you start trying to cast further or shoot streamers.
I have a redington surge 3/4wt reel. Very nice for the cost, with a wide range of drag setting. Matched with a 7'6" 3wt TFO pro, this has become my favorite creek rod for around town.
I have reddington sonic pro waders. I have beat the living criminy out of these waders for the last two years, often they don't even dry out between uses. They have developed some wear spots, but no real holes yet. I have a pair of frog togs too, but I really like the reddingtons, and will wear them until they die...

Good brands in my opinion, and affordable for us little guys, good luck! Keep an eye on fleabay for good deals too.

kevin2

Reaction score
I have some Cabelas rods, nice. The very best thing about anything bought a Cabelas, is that stand behind their equipment. $140 is not much to spend on flyfishing equipment, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. Enjoy fishing & enjoy learning how to cast...

Joni

Reaction score
I had a Cabela's rod and reel, they were surprisingly nice. But I agree, GET A GOOD LINE! There are tons of sales on Good line. What are you fishing for that you want a 6 wt if I may ask.

stevo56

Reaction score
I had a Cabela's rod and reel, they were surprisingly nice. But I agree, GET A GOOD LINE! There are tons of sales on Good line. What are you fishing for that you want a 6 wt if I may ask.
Figuring just panfish, bass, and trout. Lake and stream fishing. Mostly MN, maybe some in WI

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum, I don't have experience with either rod so can't give advice on them. I just spotted your post and thought to say hello. I hope you will continue to post with us and that you will find many answers here to your questions as you grow into fly fishing. It sounds like you live in a good area for a variety of fishing opportunities.

Ard

flymark

Reaction score
I have the Wind River 4 weight, and it's a fine rod, especially for an under $100 rod. I also own the Prestige Plus reel - and my only complaint is it's a little heavy for it's size.

I don't have any first hand experience with that Redington model, aside from wiggling it at the store.

FWIW - I found my Wind River casts best with a Scientific Angler's line vs. Cortland. If you opt for the Cabela's brand line (which, IIRC is OEM by Scientific Anglers now) - get the Prestige Premier or Prestige Plus line - I have a standard Prestige, and there's some rods it doesn't perform as well on as the others.

You could also get the Airflo Supple EX fly line which is on sale at Cabela's now for $30 (half price). Airflos are excellent lines.

A Wind River rod, Prestige Plus Reel, Airflo Supple EX line, 100 yards of backing will set you back just a couple bucks over $100.

Or you could get the Wind River combo - which is the Wind River rod, Wind River reel (same weight, larger arbor than the Prestige Plus) plus line and backing for $80 right now - tho the website only shows 4 and 5 weight combos. The 5 would honestly cover trout, panfish, and smallmouth fishing very well.

Either way, that leaves you extra cash for say, more flies/leaders/shot/indicators, or you can get a spare spool for your reel and an intermediate or sink tip line for still water fishing.

webrx

Reaction score
Figuring the prestige plus reel typically runs $60, though it is on sale for $25 right now, you are basically getting the rod for free at this point. I own a couple Cabelas Rods, the wind river 4 piece 5/6 is one of them, and it is a decent rod. I do own an older redington rod, 3 wt, FSF - it is a very nice rod, but, not the same rod you are looking at, and it was originally priced at $300 (I got it for ~$90 on closeout), so I can't compare to the one you are looking at. I can say that the Cabelas rods are decent starter rods, and that I have no complaints about the ones I own and fish with on a regular basis. I will say the cabelas rods are better than the SA starter kit rods, and the Prestige Plus Reel is a decent reel for the money.

If I were to pick I would go with the Cabelas combo and with the sales going on right now, I think, as flymark says, you could put together a pretty good combo (rod and Reel $65), buy an airflo line, and have the nice folks at Cabelas spool it up for you (they will put the backing on, and put the line on the reel for the cost of the backing), add 9foot 5x leaders (less than $10 bucks for a 3 pack) and your off and fishing.

As always, YMMV,

d

wabi

Reaction score
Hate to say it, (had a warranty issue with Cabela's - they would NOT honor the warranty on a rod that was one week out of warranty :rolleyes:) but the Cabela's is a good deal.

The Redington is also a good outfit!
I bought a Redington Crosswater outfit for my son and it's not bad at all!

db cooper

Reaction score
I can see that...their customer service is not what it was 10 years ago. They used to be the best in the business by far to deal with. They changed their warranty policy officially and are now just one of the rest. It has cost them some business im sure. I used to buy from them all the time because i knew no matter what they would take care of me. After a reading about instances and a few of my own, i no longer buy from them. I shop around there and then order from my local guy. His customer service is really no better but at least hes in my community.

stevo56

Reaction score
Wow you guys are being a tremendous help! Thanks for all the information about lines too!

I was advised to purchase DT line - because it can be flipped around and used twice. As far as the actual fishing experience goes - is there a significant difference between using DT or WF line?

And could anyone comment on using a 5 wt vs 6 wt for the species I listed as targeting?

Thanks so much!!

Joni

Reaction score
I am gonna take a stab at this. "ME" I prefer WF line. Always have though and I do have a few DT, but I buy new line all the time so I have never switched a line around. Plus I fish big rivers and stillwater where I am using more than 45' of the line so flipping it around is not giving me a new line. I like the thinner diameter of the WF line and with all the different specialty tapers I can cover just about anything.

As far as 5 wt or 6 wt. Either will work, my question is, do you plan on casting big heavy flies, is there a lot of vegetation? This would determine which to me. Could also determine the flex or action of your choice.

thonyb

Reaction score
Stevo,
I own a Redington Redfly2 which i think the pursuit replaced. I like the rod and still use it today. It was the first rod i have ever purchased. I broke the tip after the first two months and they replaced it and gave me an extra tip. When i purchased the rod it was a combo and found the reel kind of heavy. My Ross cla #6 is lighter than that reel for my 7wt. But for the price its ok. An okuma reel is much lighter and cheaper.

I would get a 5wt for trout. The rod would be a bit much for panfish but could handle large bass.

I like to have shooting heads on my lines. Rio make a line called outbound. I like this because i can cast far but still roll cast really far too. I used to use DT all the time. It is slick being able to flip it around.

Im not sure if any one mentioned but Redington is owned by Sage so the rods are nice.

Thonyb

Last edited:

Vans

Reaction score
I own a couple Redington rods and think they are great rods for the price.The Cabelas rod i owned i didnt have as good a experience with.

If i was spending your money, i would get the Redington combo and then upgrade the line a bit down the road.

dusty h

Reaction score
I have nothing but good things to say about Redington but the only thing I can think of is the length of warranty on the Crosswater. If I remember correctly it is only 1 year on that rod compared to a lifetime warranty on all other redington rods so that might play a part in your decision making. Im not sure what the warranty is on Cabelas stuff but you might want to check it out. Either way the performance and quality of both brands is great at this price range. I have a buddy who is a guide and he outfits his clients out with Cabelas gear since it is more affordable yet he swears by the quality too.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

I have nothing but good things to say about Redington but the only thing I can think of is the length of warranty on the Crosswater. If I remember correctly it is only 1 year on that rod compared to a lifetime warranty on all other redington rods so that might play a part in your decision making. Im not sure what the warranty is on Cabelas stuff but you might want to check it out. Either way the performance and quality of both brands is great at this price range. I have a buddy who is a guide and he outfits his clients out with Cabelas gear since it is more affordable yet he swears by the quality too.
Scratch that. It looks like you are looking at the Pursuit not crosswater so it should be covered by a lifetime warranty as well.

stevo56

Reaction score
...do you plan on casting big heavy flies, is there a lot of vegetation? This would determine which to me. Could also determine the flex or action of your choice.
I guess I don't really know the answer to that. There are several lakes in the area that I will probably be starting out at this spring, and then maybe later this summer I will be able to try some stream and river fishing as well. A couple of the lakes nearby have a fair amount of vegetation in some places, but areas are clear.

blueline

Reaction score
lots of great info on this thread already, Ill add my part as well!

have you been to your fly fishing seminar or class yet, I have learnd alot from the ones I have attended.

For cabelas dont forget to look at a three forks rod great rod for the money, how ever I agree with the warrenty issue they are just a box store now not a true outfitter destination the once were.

For Rod - try to cast a few and see whitch one picks you!

Reel - (IF Money is a big issue) get the cheepest one you can now, and upgrade it later when funds are avaliable.

Line - get the best you can't afford, (especially if its on sale) I like sharkskin, outbound, SA GPX. cont care for courtland JMO.
I only use DT for 3wt and lighter, for 5 & 6 WF for sure

have fun and keep us informed of your progress

blueline

Last edited:

webrx

Reaction score
It does not matter to me which rod you buty, so I am just throwing the other side of the coin here in reference to warrenty, I have had maybe 3 issues with an item I purchased at cabelas, not all rods, but one was, and they replaced it with a rod of equal value, I didnt even have the receipt. Maybe it is just the store here in Verdi (just outside of Reno), or maybe it is because I always find 15 or 30 minutes to chat with the folks that work in the fly fishing area and talk fishing, or maybe I was just lucky, but, I have never had an issue with the folks honoring a warrenty at our local Cabelas.

Cabelas Warrenty:
Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship. All other Cabela's brand merchandise and National brand boots and shoes are guaranteed for one full year under normal use and against defects in materials or workmanship.

and Redington Warrenty:
Every new Redington rod purchased through an authorized retailer, with the exception of the Crosswater Series and Minnow Outfit, is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty. The Crosswater and Minnow are covered by a one-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship and must include a dated proof of purchase. Package the product either in its original packaging, or in packaging affording a degree of protection equal to the original packaging. Please be sure to include this form, completely filled out and attached to your repair. Use one form for each item to be serviced. For US and Canadian customers, please include a US check or money order in the amount of $30. For your convenience, Redington accepts VISA, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.

d

Last edited: