Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Any experience with Playa del Carmen/Cancun?

I will be heading to Playa Del Carmen, Cancun for a wedding in mid-June. I will not have money for the local guides (~$400 full day), but I will be taking an 11wt saltwater setup (may be too heavy, but I'd rather be ready for whatever!)

Supposedly kayaks are available at the resort, and I presume that some exploring for flats or mangroves can be done. I found one site that says that "bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook, snapper, barracuda, and jacks" can be found.
    Of course I will just be poking around hoping to find something on my own...

Any ideas about places to hunt?
    Should I just shore fish outside the resort?
    Good flies to tie for the area?

Wish I had the money for a guide, but the whole trip is a stretch.
    Thanks in advance!
    TB

Instagram page @tblom77

Default Re: Any experience with Playa del Carmen/Cancun?

jeez, I must sound like a dirtbag! no responses...

Looks like if I can sucker a few of the other wedding guests out, I can get a chartered trip down to about $150/person. Or I will be kayaking around looking for fish in the flats around riviera maya.

Anyone? Anyone? Flies? Beuler?

Instagram page @tblom77

I've been to Playa Del Carmen a few times.. never fished though, just snorkeling and sigh seeing

I've seen TV shows fishing down that way though
    Dave

I've never been there, but always enjoyed these two stories from Jack Gartside

The Circus at the End of the World
    The Great Bonefish Giveaway: Page 1

on a Gartside expedition, one survives on one's own skills, going fishless if necessary. Hiring a guide is considered both decadent and an admission of failure — akin to having a pizza delivered while scaling Mount Everest.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

5. Likes milt spawn liked this post

Been to Cancun . Fished the beach up from my hotel. Plenty of action and info from locals(as long as you give them fish). No need for an 11wt . 8wt or 9 is fine. Rent a quad if you can . Lot of fishing opportunities to explore. Have fun!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

I spent my honeymoon there...at the Riu Palace Resort, but was too busy to fish. Sorry, I'm no help.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

[QUOTE=Rip Tide;425870]I've never been there, but always enjoyed these two stories from Jack Gartside

"on a Gartside expedition, one survives on one's own skills, going fishless if necessary. Hiring a guide is considered both decadent and an admission of failure akin to having a pizza delivered while scaling Mount Everest."

well, I'll admit, I've always kind of felt that way in regards to hiring a guide (never hired anyone before, mostly self taught). I believe I will be doing some kayak and surf hunting, and I have most of a week on my own to do that... so maybe I'll figure out a thing or two on my own.
    Although, given my being a saltwater flyrod 'virgin', it might be worth paying someone to show me around for a few hours early in the week.

Sounds like june in Cancun will produce just about every species of flats fish one could desire. I like the rental quad idea, that could be a blast!

Instagram page @tblom77

Blog Entries

I like the dirtbag approach, it works for me! Just brush up on the Espanol, promise to bring in some dinner fish, and you'll find something. Wish I could go, sounds like fun. milt.