The Addiction is Now Cemented!

fire instructor

Reaction score
Many of you know that I'm just finally learning how to fly fish, after having it on my "Bucket List". I started studying what I needed to learn late last Fall, I bought the necessary rod, reel, and lines, I got involved with this forum and learned even more, I took a tying class with the local Federation Club, I watched You-Tube and DVD videos, and I practiced casting in my back yard.

Well, this evening, after work, I took it all to a local stream. A stream that I used to ride my bicycle to when I was a youngster, and visited several times over the years, but hadn't fished in 20+ years.

The water was low, as we've had no rain, and there was very little snow melt, so I headed for a rock-ledge pool that I remembered. Tied one of the BHPT's that I tied in class to my 7' 3/4wt, and then embarassed myself with several pathetic casts into the breeze. Since I was casting directly into the breeze, I decided to move to part way upstream on the pool edge and cast diagonally across, at an angle to the breeze. This improved my cast some (not much), and on the 7th or 8th cast I actually had a FISH ON!!!

I sucessfully landed my first fly rod trout, caught on my own tied fly! A 9" brown, clearly a recent stocky (I was fishing about a mile downstream from one of the locations where that state fisheries stocked about 3 weeks ago), as the trout wasn't brightly colored and teh spots seemed almost "washed out". But who cares??? I sucessfully landed my first fly rod trout, caught on my own tied fly!

I had left my cell phone in the Jeep, as I didn't want to drop it in the water, and in my rush to get from work, home to change, and out to the stream, I had forgotten to bring my camera. :( So you'll have to take my word.... I looked him over for a minute or so, then held him in the current to make sure he would survive, the released him.

About 10 minutes later, same big pool, but back down closer to the tail of the pool, I snagged bottom. Since the bottom there is almost all angled shale, I figured that if I changed my position, the fly would come loose. So I started to walk upstream, along the bank, and that's when i realized that the "bottom" was moving!

Almost 20 minutes later, I landed a 18" carp that had taken the same BHPT. I was absolutely amazed to catch a carp in 40 degree clean water! But the fight was amazing on the 3/4wt.

Continued fishing until dusk in an upstream beaver dam pool, with no further luck, but it was peaceful enough, and I must have been quiet enough, that I actually got to watch two beaverrs swimming and working the same pool that I was fishing.

In the end, by the time the sun was going down, and I had to make my way back to the Jeep, I was like an excited little kiid! I have to teach after work tomorrow night, so i won't get fishing, but I'm thinking Friday may have me out on another local stream that I used to fish, and that I recently scouted.

Thank you to ALL on this forum, who have provided information, guidance, answered my questions, or who have offered encouragement! The feeling of the first cath was even better than I expected,and a lot of the credit goes to folks on this forum!

Reactions: Ard

theboz

Reaction score
Congratulations! What a banner day to catch those two so different fish on a fly you tied on the same outing! That first one is a feeling hard to describe but all of us addicted to this sport know it well. Believe me after that you will never turn back. Again awesome start to a great addiction!

silver creek

Reaction score
Well done indeed. Welcome to the community of fly anglers. I've never cuaght a carp but I've read that they are huge fighters. Congratulations on both fish.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Congratulations Indeed! I remember my first trout on the fly...I was too dumb to even know what kind it was but it is a treasured memory nonetheless. It was a little 5" rainbow with that "baby rainbow" patter down its side. 8 years ago and I can still see him in my hands like it was yesterday. Caught on a size 18 grey scud on the White River Arkansas.

Now to catch you first on your own fly, what a doubly successful day. I called my first fly a chernobyl misquito; all it would catch was a few chub.

kibby

Reaction score
From the sound of it, you are definitely hooked for life, Rick. :)

fire instructor

Reaction score
A.J. - I'll be teaching in Erie Co., the week of April 30 to may 4. Likely staying at Holidy Inn, by the airport. Any chance that we can hook-up one late afternoon / evening and wet a line?

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Congrats. An 18" carp on that little rod had to be an epic battle. :)
Twenty minutes of that little 7' 3/4 Cortland bent in an inverted "U"! I wasn't sure that it could take it! But "playing" a fish was so much more fun than just reeling it in!!! In the end, he came in on his side, and just flopped a little bit as I netted him. He recovered well, and while he sat in sight for a few seconds, he soon swam away...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rick,

I know how you felt when this all happened, it's been a while but I remember the thrill very well. As for pictures, you don't need a picture for me to believe you. If I had a dollar for every fish that I didn't take a picture of I would be a wealthy fellow indeed. But then the fish offer a certain reward in themselves...............

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Rick, I'll sort out a few places we can fish. Let me know what time you would be available to head out, and I'll have the Jeep there ready to hit the water. By that time, we might even be able to do a late-night mousing trip, if you're up for it!

Vans

Reaction score
Grats Rick! Landing your fist on a fly is a special moment and feeling. Well done.

Someone here recommended that i keep the fly that landed my fish as a special memento. Unfortunately, i didnt because it was a borrowed fly. I regret that i didnt ask to keep it now.

I would suggest you keep that one special someplace.

Grats again.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I second vans' idea. I kept my first dry fly that I caught a fish on, and have put together a photo collage for it, to which I will also affix the fly and frame it all. Hopefully you didn't lose the fly yet, and if you did, hopefully there's a good story to go along with it, not just a tree-fish.

fire instructor

Reaction score
Someone here recommended that i keep the fly that landed my fish as a special memento.
I thought of that, but, alas, it's lost on a deep snag somewhere in the same pool that I caught those first two fish....

But that's OK. I tied it up with a batch of about 20 that I tied. Eight for myself, and 12 that went to Perigrines for the Spring Brook Trout Fly Swap, but instead went out with the Spring Nymph Swap!

wjc

Reaction score
Great story! And it's really special that you caught your first one on a fly you tied yourself. May there be many more!!

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Congrats! Welcome to the club! For me, I got hooked last year when I fished the Great Smokies and caught my first wild rainbow. It was the first time that I was out by myself getting no assistance from other seasoned anglers. He wasn't big by any means, but I caught him. I've said it before, I'll say it again..... Anyone can chuck a rattletrap or what ever and catch fish. Fly fishing is an ART!