Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Satisfaction in 2012

Default Finally Satisfaction in 2012

Looking at all the recent posts I see all these guys hooking up with the fist bluegills and warm water fish of the year . It's been a warmer than normal year so for the last two weeks I've had this uncontrollable urge to get that first bluegill of the year especially after seeing all the successful posts. My go to spot is 100 yards from my back door a pretty little lake with a great bass , panfish and pickerel population. Well for at least 2 hours every day for the last 10 days I've been there with zero results . The dead sea. No life . Frustrating. It's warmer than any spring in recent memory and nothing . Ok usually I don't start at this lake until the end of April but conditions are good.
    For the year so far I have nothing to complain about. I've had great steelhead , trout, walleye, channel cat , smallmouth, shad , peacock bass , tarpon and all kinds of other saltwater and freshwater trips all ready under my belt but I think they got me spoiled. Want that first bluegill at my little lake.
    FINALLY yesterday it broke loose. No monsters but a bunch of gills and pumpkinseeds up to 8 inches. I'm a happy man. It's the little things that bring total satisfaction!
    And just to show good things come in pairs after happily reading that Swirlchaser got his gear back from the airline I was surprised by my postmaster with my lost flys from a fly swap . Sometimes good things just happen!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Default Re: Finally Satisfaction in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Looking at all the recent posts I see all these guys hooking up with the fist bluegills and warm water fish of the year . It's been a warmer than normal year so for the last two weeks I've had this uncontrollable urge to get that first bluegill of the year especially after seeing all the successful posts. My go to spot is 100 yards from my back door a pretty little lake with a great bass , panfish and pickerel population. Well for at least 2 hours every day for the last 10 days I've been there with zero results . The dead sea. No life . Frustrating. It's warmer than any spring in recent memory and nothing . Ok usually I don't start at this lake until the end of April but conditions are good.
    For the year so far I have nothing to complain about. I've had great steelhead , trout, walleye, channel cat , smallmouth, shad , peacock bass , tarpon and all kinds of other saltwater and freshwater trips all ready under my belt but I think they got me spoiled. Want that first bluegill at my little lake.
    FINALLY yesterday it broke loose. No monsters but a bunch of gills and pumpkinseeds up to 8 inches. I'm a happy man. It's the little things that bring total satisfaction!
    And just to show good things come in pairs after happily reading that Swirlchaser got his gear back from the airline I was surprised by my postmaster with my lost flys from a fly swap . Sometimes good things just happen!
    Where are the pictures!?!?!? Sounds like a great day of fishing. I haven't been out since mid March on my "local" (2hrs away) trout stream.

Will put some pics up this week when I get a chance. I'm slow at posting pics. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Oh and I'll be in your neck of the woods in 2 weeks at Lake Norman and I'll be sure to post some.

HaHaHa, I was going to feel bad for you until you listed all the other species you caught.
    Bluegill is the only thing Ive managed to hook up with this year. LOL

If BlueGills grew to 5lbs, I would never need to fish for anything else! Those suckers think they're Tuna! I'm going to grab my recently returned gear and try to get to the Gap next week. I'll let you know when.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

But to me they signal the start of the season . Just a mental thing. Love gills since I was a kid. Never tire of them. Pound for pound always put on a show. Once I get my first fish at that lake in my mind the fishing has started. Like I said it's a mental thing. Haha
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you're having some fun, I used to fish for them when living in Georgia. I had a very large pond that was created by beavers and had a healthy number of what the folks there called Pumpkin Seed and they were fun to fish for. A blue gill / Sunfish, was my first fish caught on one of my own flies a long time ago too so I can relate to your excitement.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Good to hear you finally had success!

The 'gills here have been taking wet flies & nymphs for several weeks now, but I finally got some action with a dry fly the other evening. Actually had one explode through the surface to slam the fly! Been catching 'gills for over 50 years now, but nothing can compare to doing it with a fly rod & dry fly.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    But to me they signal the start of the season . Just a mental thing. Love gills since I was a kid. Never tire of them. Pound for pound always put on a show. Once I get my first fish at that lake in my mind the fishing has started. Like I said it's a mental thing. Haha
    I would definately agree with you on that one. There is something about a bluegill on the line. Their fun for all ages.
    Didnt mean to sound harsh. Ive been skunked on everything else so far this year. Thank goodness for the bluegill or I'd be totally SOL. LOL

I always refer to them as the puppy of the pond. They always feel the same as when you give a puppy a rope toy and watch them shake it and fight it.

Blog Entries

fishing for aggressively feeding bluegills is fun on a fly rod. i've been hitten em pretty hard here in n. illinois lately. the only issue has been the wind. wow what a windy spring we've been having so far

casey

ARFE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast