Never argue with an idiot...

tbblom

Reaction score
I read a short piece called, What Do You Do When Somenone Crowds You While Fishing? by: Lloyd Tackitt
Lloyd reminds us to not argue with idiots, for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Hence walking away when getting crowded, or trying to be nice about it. Little did I know that his article, enjoyed over my morning coffee, would be an omen for my afternoon fishing experience.
Fishing Boulder creek in town can be busy, with lots of tourists and transients, and people enjoying themselves. Sharing a hole or having someone clueless stumble through is just part of the game. Having an audience on a nearby bridge is usual. I've let little kids release fish with their parents, had odd conversations with the homeless, and enjoyed some nice views of the local fauna. After trying several patterns over about an hour, I finally caught a decent 12" brown; I had received many close inspections and denials. I also slipped and fell on my butt in the process, but oh well. I kept fishing.
A guy and his girlfriend come by and she sits on the opposite bank. They look like bikers, with black leather, etc. He is armed with a newer looking fly setup, and a stringer around his neck holding a half gallon of OJ(C&R only in town).
He immediately crosses the pourover approaching me and asks for/demands a fly. Says he "lost the one he had."
He's definitely just spooked the hole. Fly fishermen get a bad rap for being snooty... I try to be nice to everyone, so I give him a good local fly. I am about to leave (ie never argue with an idiot) and now his girlfriend is asking me, "Do you have any leader?"
(losing patience, wet, already gave up the hole and a fly) I lied and said "no, I'm just going lightweight with this one box today" and started to walk away. Now dude tells me, "Can I get another fly, the hole is messed up on this fly, I can't get the line in, ya got something more yellow?" I took the original fly back and inspected it noticing a small tag of old knot in the eye. Now completely out of patience with the eager imbecile, I informed him "there is a good fly shop down the street, you should get some of your own gear if what I had to offer was not good enough for you after you guys horked in on my hole."
I walked off after that, no use in arguing with the idiot...

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Wow...at that point I'm reminded of an episode of "Frasier" titled "Etiquette Lesson". That's my favorite episode of that show; if you've seen it and ignorant imbecile's irk you as much as they do me then you would love this episode also. Here's a link just for fun, it's only a couple minutes long.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTlJvcJB80]Etiquette Lesson - YouTube[/ame]

Speaking of Idiots, I nearly had to engage in an altercation at Easter service! The minister hadn't said Amen just 4 seconds earlier and this IDIOT was already bumping against my back trying to shove by. After the 4th and strongest; which was an awfully hard bump as it knocked my 260 lbs off balance a little, I decided to stiffen up my elbow and pop him in the sternum... just a bit (he was a good foot shorter then myself so it was a perfect sternum strike). After which he said "excuse me", I just glared and stood right in his way which was far less than he deserved.

iaflyguy

Reaction score
Im glad I wasnt the only one who was irratated today. I was down on one of the local rock dams in our little river when a group of teenagers come busting in (amongst other things) and setup shop right where my backcast ends up . I thought long and hard about casting anyway and letting fate takeover, but decided against it. I had heard a few wild casts can clear a hole in a hurry, but Im not that lucky. I decided to move to a lake bay nearby and spare myself the headache.
I drove home snarling about those dam (misspelt intentionally) teenagers when I suddenly realized that I unwittingly joined the grumpy adult club. The sad part is, I'm only 35. I cant imagine what Im going to be like in another 30 years. *shudder*

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

That had to be weird, not even bikers ask me for flies. I don't know why...............

That is a great picture. HaHaHa It looks how I feel so.....so often. HaHa:D

Reactions: Ard

kevin2

Reaction score
I go fishing, deep VERY DEEP in the woods, to get away from what you are describing. I see ALL I need in the city with regards to your story!

theboz

Reaction score
If I saw that mug of Ard's I'd just give him all of my flys and leave. Seriously I don't know if it's age or experience but over the years I avoid the rude and clueless that wander our wilderness. There's always another spot cause once they show up yours is useless anyway.
I wasn't always so accommodating and I can write a book on some crazy confrontations I've had.
There is one thing I used to do though I never tried it with a fly rod nor would I due to the expense but I found it to be a crowd clearing system.
In my younger days I worked as a mate on a charter boat and when I was off I'd fish one of the party boats to make pool money . I was always on the boat hours before anyone to get my choice spot at the stern . Well when the trip was under way and I'd start catching fish many times people on the boat would shift in my direction. At times especially when cod fishing or blackfishing when the pools were big I'd have guys try to actually put there rods in over my shoulder.
Easy solution to this. As the guy would push up from behind me on the rail I would set the hook hard on an imaginary fish. Solid glass fiberglass meat stick across the face clears people out quick. Only have to do it once and it's amazing how fast you get your space back. But like I said I've mellowed now and don't want to damage a good flyrod --------nah.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Boz,

Every time my wife sees that picture she growls 'Get off my lawn' just think Gran Torino the movie and you'll get it. Really though, if I look at someone like that they generally leave me alone :D

theboz

Reaction score
Great movie! If the face works use it. I tend to use my 6'4" 270 lb frame to ward off the crazies. Works for me!
Oh and like my nasty neighbor would say when I was a kid"Get off my lawn! I'm keeping your baseball to teach you a lesson"

rapid eddy

Reaction score
I guess i'm not the bashful type. If i'm fishin in a hole and some goofballs walk up and start to wade through my hole i let em know to not walk in that direction. They dont. If they set down behind me while i'm casting i will give them a very polite warning then i show em what i'm talking about. I will set someone up with a rig and try and teach em what and how to catch fish if i see they need help but never if they horn in and demand a fly. Some peoples kids never had a real lesson. That's where me and Ard come in.
Small Block

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I would have yelled at him for spooking the hole and told him he had a lot of damn gall for asking for a fly after doing that. I would then have offered him a fly anyway, but only on the condition that he promise to stay away from the hole for the next 2 hours to give the fish a chance to rest and you a chance to fish it again, and stay at least 50 yards away from you and any other angler for the rest of the day.

axle27

Reaction score
Boz,

Every time my wife sees that picture she growls 'Get off my lawn' just think Gran Torino the movie and you'll get it. Really though, if I look at someone like that they generally leave me alone :D
I get that, Ard. I do the same thing...although I will say that you just look irritated. Clint Eastwood looked constipated in Gran Torino....

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Fortunately here on the upper Rogue 'nut cases' are few and far between .... save for the spring king salmon season. Then the heavens just open up and dump them out.

But I am reminded of one incident from some years back. We have a 'fly only' season on the upper river where flies are it for 'bait.' You can use a float and a weighted fly if you wish (no added weight save for the fly itself). Fishing the upper river and 5 guys walk into the 'hole' I was fishing and set up shop.

It's a big river so no big deal ..... save for the gear they were using. A total No-NO! Reeled in and told the folks that this was 'fly only water at this time of the year' and if they got caught it was a very heavy fine.

I was told to f**k-off. Walked away just as a young couple with a couple of kids in tow came down on the beach. One look and a 'here we go again.' Told them about the fly only, etc., and they started to pack up.

Took a look at what they had in the way of 'gear' (right down to the little red and white bobbers. Five minutes later with their bits and my bobs they were up and running.

Next stop was the manned fire station across from the parking area and asked if I could use their phone to call the Oregon State Police. (No cell phone service that far out.)

'You Bet!' Made the call, told the dispatcher what was going on and asked her to see if there was a cruiser in the area. Less than 15 minutes TWO rolled in. (I think that was because of the number of 'people' they were about to visit down on the river.

Outlined the situation, what had happened, etc. They take a walk and I (and the firemen) stood around and sipped coffee. About 15 minutes later three of the AH's were hand cuffed and the other two in tow headed back to the Police Cars.

Didn't hook a thing that day, but one of the best days on the river I've ever had.

fae

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
In theory "Never argue with an idiot" is good policy. Unfortunately the idiot factor is such that it is hard not to. Plus if you never point out to an idiot he's being an idiot, he's doomed to continue being an idiot. As a result we are doomed to having to put up with his idiot jackassery. To quote Barney Fife, "Nip it. Nip it in the bud!"

I dream in vain of an idiot free world.

fire instructor

Reaction score
All good points, but in my career path; firefighter/EMT, code enforcement, fire officer, fire instructor, & now emergency management; I've come to accept (and to a degree welcome) idiots as a form of job security!

We get called out daily to protect people from their own idiot acts or omissions. Either that or to bandage or splint them from the results of their idiocy....

Reminds me of an "injury call" I was sent to a number of years ago. "Child caught in roto-tiller" was what the dispatcher told us. It seems that Dad wanted some extra weight on the rototiller to cut through a bit of frost that was still in the ground, so he had "junior" ride on top of the tiller. That is, until "junior" slipped, and just about had his leg ripped off by the tiller. When we got there, Dad was screaming at the injured kid, "How could you be so f'n stupid and clumsy!" My partner had to be physically restrained by the PD! One of the few times that I ever felt GOOD about having to call Child Protective Services.....

attila

Reaction score
@fireinstructor...WOW!!! That poor kid. As for the OP good job. I've had one similar experience already this year but he didn't ask for any flies. I don't even bother getting too upset anymore...what's the point.

iaflyguy

Reaction score
In theory "Never argue with an idiot" is good policy. Unfortunately the idiot factor is such that it is hard not to. Plus if you never point out to an idiot he's being an idiot, he's doomed to continue being an idiot. As a result we are doomed to having to put up with his idiot jackassery. To quote Barney Fife, "Nip it. Nip it in the bud!"

I dream in vain of an idiot free world.

I would totally agree with you on the frustrations of the idiot factor, but I find the solution far too simple. A very small amount of the idiots will actually do anything about their own affliction once told of it. Many simply don't care, are totally unmotivated to do anything about it, and just want to argue anyway. Many wear their idiocy as some sort of badge of honor because they "aint no smart mouth" like me, and are more than willing to do anything they need to to make my life that much more annoying. Also, I do think that an explicit effort to help the idiot see the error of his/her ways usually results in a backfire of sorts and in turn only makes you (generic) look like an idiot to the idiot. Its a paradox.
I guess in conclusion, use your common sense to determine when its actually worth it.

I hope your back pain is better soon. Back pain ranks up there with dentistry to me.