Posting Tips

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to All,

Here are a couple of tips to make your forum experience more enjoyable.

When I read a post that asks for information the first thing I do is look at the poster's age and location. I find both of these items useful in preparing my response. The location is really useful and everyone should include it in their profile. You don't have to give your exact location but at least give the general area or state. Your age is not as important but it does help give the responder a clue as to your perspective. For instance, a teenager will look at things differently than someone who is a senior.

When you ask a question about equipment such as a rod or reel. You need to specify what your target fish is and how much you want to spend. There is a broad range of rods and reels and if I recommend something that cost $600 and your budget is $200 I have missed the target complety. We can save some time and get a meaningful answer the first time around if all the information is presented with the question.

I also think signing your post with a first name makes it a much friendly forum but that may just be me. I always try to address a poster by their first name if I know it. When someone uses my first name I always get that old fuzzy feeling that I am talking to a friend.

This is a great forum and I am proud to be a member.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Frank,

Thanks, well put. This is one that needs to be "sticky"ed

All,

If you don't want to reveal your location thats fine, just tell us where you'll be fishing. This is because hatches and such vary greatly from place to place, as do tackle needs. Frank's take on giving us an idea of your experience is right on too.

tightlines57

Reaction score
Some good points. Another helpful hint, try to give some details. "I need a new rod" will get vastly different responses from "I need a new trout rod" or "I need a new bass rod". With more details in the question you can get more specific responses. :army:

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Like Frank and Cliff stated it does make it easier if a member lists their general location. members from the same location or from a location you will be traveling to can offer up viable information to get you on the fish. and what Tightlines57 stated about asking questions gives members of the forum the oppertunity to give more descriptive answers or opinions.

when replying to a members post a first name or screen name does make getting information a little more personal.

Frank,

you are right about that warm fuzzy feeling you get from a personal reply to a post or just a simple thank you.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Big C - "sticky"ed it will be!

Another thing that I like to do is pose a question in the form of a Poll. I believe it gives a better visual representation of what you are trying to find out about and it is easier to respond too by selecting options provided. This is depending on the poll of course which you can still provide a comment too as well.

I agree with all the above suggestions as well and the Name thing is a big plus in my book.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Quesnel

Reaction score
Hello Frank
Just read your post should have done before I sent my first post will correct my ways forthwith.
Regards
Merrill

Rankamtr

Reaction score
Hi Frank I'm new here and just read this and like Merrill, I agree and will change my ways too. Thanks for the tip.
Dutch

shorthaul

Reaction score
Some good points. Another helpful hint, try to give some details. "I need a new rod" will get vastly different responses from "I need a new trout rod" or "I need a new bass rod". With more details in the question you can get more specific responses. :army:
There seems to be a bunch of questions that ask ---what rod should i buy?
anybody thats been around the block a few time answers " whatever fits your style, your budget and your purpose--dont buy it before you try it

its the same answers all the time and everyone puts thier $.02 in on the bargain rod or the cheap rod or combo

i dont know how the same answer could be handled without endorsing certain brands over others

i dont know if the site wants to do that or just give the personal touch and say the same thing over and over

i love the site and the people are great

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
this has got to be the best fly fishing forum on the web today. noone hates on anyone and everyone is very helpful. I would have to say the last time I seen someone posting like this was like a year ago and they are no longer with us anymore caue they got :banned: thanks Frank for banning the dude! he made no sense at all 90% of the time. now we can get back to business!

bono

Reaction score
Hello frank,

my name is Leon I also go by Bono sometimes and I agree with your post. Bare with me this is my first post. Hello to all fly tiers and fly fisher personal. I am from NE PA.
thanks Leon

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Leon,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found us and hope you stick around and have a good time. We have a really nice bunch of fly fishers on this site. You might want to try one of our fly swaps.

Alligator, I hear you!

Frank

qualey99

Reaction score
Frank,
As a new member, I must say that I have enjoyed the forum immensely, and check it daily. The only other forum I check daily is my LSU site. As a warm water guy hailing from Shreveport, Louisiana I have enjoyed the bass and pan fish articles the most, followed by the red fish and speck comments since these are my normal targets. I am going to make my first trout trip next month with Dave and Emily Whitlock in NE Oklahoma. Thanks for all the work that goes into making this site successful.

Could you give advice on how to post pictures with replies, and also how to cut down on their size so I don't make them too wide. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Frank (also), (too)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Frank,

With that name you must be an exceptional individual. Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to a FAQ that gives you several ways to post a picture. If you still need help send me a PM.

To size your photos you need a photo editor. One of the easiest to use is Picasa 3. You can down load it for free from Google. It allows you to make simple changes to your photos including sizing. If you size your photos to a 4" x 6" size, or smaller, you well be OK to post in a thread.

Frank

Edit: Since this post was made there has been an automatic photo sizing program added to NAFFF. So the sizing of the photo is not as important.

Last edited:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fishn50,

The Gallery is still being developed. So far it looks to me that the same methods will still work. I uploaded a picture using the "Manage Attachment" feature so I know that still works. You can still copy a picture that is on a WEB site and paste it into a post. If you find one method that does not work, please let me know.

It is a little confusing on how to get to your personal Gallery but that will work out before Colin is done.
Frank