Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    . . . I think the new boots out that are a combo of super sticky rubber and studs are likely a good way to go.
    BigCliff, would studded Aquastealth fall into this category?
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Default Re: whirling disease and felt soled boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishplease View Post
    I don't have to worry about spreading whirling disease, as I don't use waders.
    Hi Fishplease,

That is not necessarily true. If you are wading with boots, shoes or socks you can pick up the spores. If you are using a boat with a trailer you could also have a problem. If the spores are in the water there may be a number of ways for you to pick them up and transport them to other waters.

Frank

3. Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishplease View Post
    I was lucky enough to get my license before the price doubled.(Which is a real kick in the behind)
    I don't have to worry about spreading whirling disease, as I don't use waders.

dang i still have my 07 license but its gonna suck getting my 08 license. so what are the common ways to help prevent WD from spreeding?

4. Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

hey cliff actually around here its not that slippery. I mean I have almost fell a few times. more when I first started wading. now I learned to take every step with precaution. slow very slow! the thing most to worry about here is not stepping in the muck and sinking a foot or so! lol. wonder if there is a way to get rid of that disease. prolly not. in my river there are all kinds of things! tires, water heaters, saw blades, transmissions, and all the good stuff. its a shame....
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

5. Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Apologies Cliff, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat. Two issues in Maryland that make me see red is whirling disease and brook trout management.

XJGUY
    The DNR site has some info posted on how to prevent the spread. Most of the waterways have also been posted with a sign depicting the life cycle of whirling disease, and then it basically says to wash all gear, including your boat throughly.

I think it would be great if there was wash stations, especially at the NB. Some days I like many other folks like to hit up several streams in a day. It is near imposable to scrub down in between.

Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Aquastealth is exactly the type i was referring to
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

7. Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
    hey cliff actually around here its not that slippery. I mean I have almost fell a few times. more when I first started wading. now I learned to take every step with precaution. slow very slow! the thing most to worry about here is not stepping in the muck and sinking a foot or so! lol. wonder if there is a way to get rid of that disease. prolly not. in my river there are all kinds of things! tires, water heaters, saw blades, transmissions, and all the good stuff. its a shame....

haha i have oil stains on my boots from wadeing through a river and finding a rear axle (thought the pumpkin was a rock) so i steped on it and all kinda oil bubbles started comming out. i tryed to pick it up and move it on the shore but the thing was burried must been their a long time.

8. Default Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Here in Colorado have seen infected fish in years past but this year have not, I got a flyer from DOW saying to use 409 straight on waders and boot and leave set for at least 15 minutes, they say this is affective at killing the spores, they gave several other options as well, but 409 is qwick and easy. Generally I'm on the some river all day so clean up is when I get home. I use a large RubberMaid box to haul boots and waders and wash it each time also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12