whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
seems like anything you do kills the enviroment. hell if I step on the grass I kill it too along with ants and bugs! we r bad bad men!

BigCliff

Reaction score
I was going to say that it isn't all that widespread yet, but looks like that was outdated info:

2. Where is whirling disease found?
Whirling disease is found in 22 states including: Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming; and in several European countries, in South Africa, and in New Zealand.
from Whirling Disease Foundation Homepage

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
told ya we were bad men. we spread it all over.... actually you guys did! I use lug boots :wink:

alanthealan

Reaction score
The info is not dated; the research is cited Gates (2007). This is a new problem for Maryland. The news broke this season, and the contamination of the North Branch of the Potomac is due to poor hatchery management. The North Branch is one of our finest rivers, which many record fish have been taken. Nearby the rest of our trophy waters (Savage, Cassleman, etc) so far haven't been contaminated, but for how much longer?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Jeebus guys, what I meant was my impression that WD wasn't all that widespread yet was based on outdated info. What I posted reflects the current situation.

Oh and lugged boots are great, until you float your hat and put all the critters from inside your mouth and nose into the river and vice versa. (teehee)

On a serious note, I think the new boots out that are a combo of super sticky rubber and studs are likely a good way to go.

Fishplease

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get my license before the price doubled.(Which is a real kick in the behind)
I don't have to worry about spreading whirling disease, as I don't use waders.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Re: whirling disease and felt soled boots.

Hi Fishplease,

That is not necessarily true. If you are wading with boots, shoes or socks you can pick up the spores. If you are using a boat with a trailer you could also have a problem. If the spores are in the water there may be a number of ways for you to pick them up and transport them to other waters.

Frank

xjguy07

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get my license before the price doubled.(Which is a real kick in the behind)

dang i still have my 07 license but its gonna suck getting my 08 license. so what are the common ways to help prevent WD from spreeding?

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
hey cliff actually around here its not that slippery. I mean I have almost fell a few times. more when I first started wading. now I learned to take every step with precaution. slow very slow! :wink: the thing most to worry about here is not stepping in the muck and sinking a foot or so! lol. wonder if there is a way to get rid of that disease. prolly not. in my river there are all kinds of things! tires, water heaters, saw blades, transmissions, and all the good stuff. its a shame....

alanthealan

Reaction score
Apologies Cliff, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat. Two issues in Maryland that make me see red is whirling disease and brook trout management.

XJGUY
The DNR site has some info posted on how to prevent the spread. Most of the waterways have also been posted with a sign depicting the life cycle of whirling disease, and then it basically says to wash all gear, including your boat throughly.

I think it would be great if there was wash stations, especially at the NB. Some days I like many other folks like to hit up several streams in a day. It is near imposable to scrub down in between.

xjguy07

Reaction score
hey cliff actually around here its not that slippery. I mean I have almost fell a few times. more when I first started wading. now I learned to take every step with precaution. slow very slow! :wink: the thing most to worry about here is not stepping in the muck and sinking a foot or so! lol. wonder if there is a way to get rid of that disease. prolly not. in my river there are all kinds of things! tires, water heaters, saw blades, transmissions, and all the good stuff. its a shame....

haha i have oil stains on my boots from wadeing through a river and finding a rear axle (thought the pumpkin was a rock) so i steped on it and all kinda oil bubbles started comming out. i tryed to pick it up and move it on the shore but the thing was burried must been their a long time.

Wyatt

Reaction score
Here in Colorado have seen infected fish in years past but this year have not, I got a flyer from DOW saying to use 409 straight on waders and boot and leave set for at least 15 minutes, they say this is affective at killing the spores, they gave several other options as well, but 409 is qwick and easy. Generally I'm on the some river all day so clean up is when I get home. I use a large RubberMaid box to haul boots and waders and wash it each time also.