Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Safe Wading Tips

Always good to be reminded:

Fly Fishing Tips, Wading - MidCurrent

Randy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Safe Wading Tips

Thanks for sharing, it is always wise to remember the safety basics when wading.

Larry

Blog Entries

Excellent article, thanks for sharing. As my life has progressed and my health deteriorated a bit (bad hip and ankle) I am never on any water without my wading staff. To me, my staff is currently my most important piece of equipment. Without my staff I may as well stay in the car.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Good article. However, I'd add a couple points:
    • Always wear a PFD. Waist-belt types work well for wading, as they have a small "footprint".
    • Watermark makes a great - and unique - net retractor, which works well as a safety tether for a fly rod. What's unique about it is that it has a slide switch which locks the amount of line it has out, so when used as a rod tether, the line is not under tension, which obviously would hamper fly rod casting. All it takes is attaching a bit of Velcro strap to the business end of the retractor's line so that you can easily attach it to the rod butt (or ahead of the reel seat - whatever).
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

5. Default Re: Safe Wading Tips

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
    Excellent article, thanks for sharing. As my life has progressed and my health deteriorated a bit (bad hip and ankle) I am never on any water without my wading staff. To me, my staff is currently my most important piece of equipment. Without my staff I may as well stay in the car.

Kelly.
    Absolutely!!!!!

I can't stress enough, learn how to swim with your waders full of water. This happened to me yesterday in a relatively mild shallow river. Twisted my ankle on a rock and got swept down into a pool about 7 feet deep. Not pleasant, but knowing how to keep my head above water probably saved my life.

7. Default Re: Safe Wading Tips

OMG! Man so glad you made it through! Been there also, only for me, it was the end of November in Idaho...Brrrrrrrrrr

Just a lesson for others I hope. Even the mildest, shallowest rivers have their deep spots and can put you in places you don't want to go.

Re-reading my post seems a little overly dramatic. I was never in a whole lot of danger. But that is only because I'm a competent swimmer.