Brookies/Cutts Near Durango Colorado

newby

Reaction score
Hey all. I am heading up to the San Juan the second week in June and figured I could possibly kill two birds with one stone. I have ALWAYS wanted to catch a brook trout. For as long as I have known about them, they have been my dream fish. Unfortunately, brook trout streams in Arizona are scarce, and those around are a closely guarded secret (for good reason, I might add). I am going to try to find some Brookies in Arizona when school gets out, but I doubt I will have success.

I was figuring that one of the days I will be up at the Juan I could venture into Colorado, near the Durango area, to chase some brookies. I am also interested in cutthroats, but primarily brookies. I was just wondernig if anybody knows the best section of water to fish where you have the HIGHEST chance of catching a brookie and/or cuttie. I know the Animas is famed for its Browns, but I don't know if it has many brookies. I did a quick search and the Florida River is just across the state line and supposedly holds brook trout, anybody know anything about this location?

A PM or post reguarding a general starting point or specific area would be nice, I REALLY want to catch a Brookie and it would be great to hook into a Cuttie as well. I don't care if they are 6 inches or 20. If there is a stream even closer, then so much the better, I am just clueless about this area as it will be my first time there (I'll probably only be able to make it out there once a year).

Again, any genreal advice, patterns, loactions, and other info. in a PM or post would be helpful.

Thanks,
Colton

FYI, I am C&R when it comes to these beautiful trout. (Pretty much all trout for that matter).

L

Liphookedau

Don't give up as someone here would definately have fished that area,also don't be suprised if you find someone to fish with who knows the area.
Brian

newby

Reaction score
Yeah, I just want to have options if I have some extra time after the San Juan. A member on another fly fishing forum has agreed to take me to his spots on one of the days I will be up there.