Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why do you fly fish

Default Re: why do you fly fish

the challenge.

2. Default Re: why do you fly fish

Hard to put into words. I suppose because it's the most graceful (when done correctly, which is something I seldom acheive), kinetic, and sporting way to catch fish?

3. Default Re: why do you fly fish

Because I get to spend 'quality time' with my son - he can fly fish all day, every day, and now out-fishes me on a regular basis - and I want the quality time to last....forever.

First of all Colin thank you for your current service as a fire fighter I am just finishing up my fire science degree and am in the middle of my EMT as well. As for your question I have been fishing my whole life and have been fortunate enough to catch some trophy fish and have some awsome memories. But all the big fish I have caught the most exiting and gratifying fish I have ever caught was a 4 inch sucker on a fly I tied myself. As long as I live I wont forget it and to this day that fly sits up in my hat watching every other fish I get from here on out.

I am also a husband, father, grandfather. Also a volunteer firefighter. I also work a full time job. I fly fished when i was young, maybe 10 - 14 yrs of age. i enjoyed it then. I didnt flyfish for 25yrs untill i took it up a couple years ago. I still enjoy it. i like the solitude, the scenery, being so concentrated on what I am doing i forget the stress of the day. Its me, it fits. Its almost an opposite of my personality. Its not about catching fish, thats a bonus i guess, it more the experience. its hard to just put into words, but here is a quote that hangs on my fridge.........

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

6. Default Re: why do you fly fish

Because it beats the heck out of mowing the yard.

7. Likes ak allen liked this post
    Blog Entries

Because snow melts. milt.
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

I find trolling on the boat a bit boring, I also feel casting a worm or powerbait and waiting for a fish to bite is boring as well. With fly fishing, if I am doing it right, I feel I am constantly connected to the fly, and when a fish hits, better connected there as well. I guess I fly fish for the tug, the bend, the fight and the challenge, I enjoy feeling the hit, the hookup, and hearing the reel scream as the fish takes line. But i also find I would rather fish with someone else, though I have fished alone many times, my preference is with a friend or family member, so maybe it is also the comaraderie.

If I could not fish I would find something else to do to relieve the stress of the day, I played a lot of golf in the old days, but, I seem happier and more focused in my daily life when I have had some time to get a line wet during the week.

So, I guess the answer is I fish for my sanity, I fly fish because that is the way I enjoy fishing the most.

d
    ex·pe·ri·ence noun \ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s\

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123