Difference between 5wt and 6wt?

jwang

Reaction score
Is there a big difference between the fight of fish on a 5wt vs a 6wt? Also, is there a big difference between delicacy of presentation? (for when i decide to go trout fishing)
I do a lot of bluegill fishing, will the 6wt be overkill? I'm debating between a 5wt and 6wt because I will occasionally go for smallies, shad, and schoolie stripers and want to throw slightly larger flies...please enlighten me if this can be done just as well on either.

idabelangler

Reaction score
Well with a 5wt you can over line with a 6wt line or use a DT 5wt line if you think you need a 6wt. With a 6wt you can over line with a 7wt line. You can also buy the SA Headstart fly line for both 5wt and 6wt weight which is very close to a Bass Bug taper at a lower cost. It's hard to go wrong with either. So if it's bluegill and bass you're after I would go with a 5wt, if it's bass and bluegill you're after I would choose a 6wt. :wink:

sandfly

Reaction score
You can also under line a rod..most people can't tell the difference between rods..you have to be a pro to notice..the problem with going from a trout rod to casting for shad,stripers,bass is you really need a stiffer rod for the bigger flies and be able to throw them a considerble distance..sounds like you fish the Delaware....I have always used a 8wt for shad and striper..you need that to cast those large and heavier flies..I spent 30 years on the delaware designing lines and flies..

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi jwang,

You have gotten some good advice. It has an awful lot to do with your target fish. Here is my suggestion. Get a 3wt for the bluegill and and a 7wt for the smallies, and stripers. If your main fish is stripers and bass then I would go with an 8wt. Bluegill can be a blast on a 3wt rod. If you must have only one rod for what you are talking about I would use a 6 wt or a 7wt according to what you fish the most.

One thing you might consider is to get an Echo 2 fly rod in a 6wt. that has two tips. One tip is slower (softer) and the other tip is faster (stiffer). You could use the slower tip for bluegill and the stiffer tip for the bigger fish.

I don't support the idea of over or under lining a rod to match the fish. Most rods work best with a specific line wt and I would use that line weight only on that rod. If you want to catch small fish or large fish, size the rod and line to match. Using an 8wt rod for bluegill does not give you the fight you might get on a 3wt but it sure will catch them.

Frank

jwang

Reaction score
Would the brand and make of rod factor into this? I am planning on a St. Legend Elite...I've heard that these generally perform one wt higher than they are marked. (5wt feels like a 6wt and so forth)

Thanks for the info guys, and yes I do fish the the Big D.

TheFlyMaster

Reaction score
I think Frank is right on the money...

Is there a big difference between the fight of fish on a 5wt vs a 6wt?
If the rods are the same action (fast, medium, etc), then you'll probably won't notice much of a difference. I think most people notice a difference when going down or up 2 sizes.

Also, is there a big difference between delicacy of presentation? (for when i decide to go trout fishing)
If you have the right rod and casting skills, you can make a 6wt land as delicate as a slow action 4wt, but it would be easier with the 4 wt :)

I do a lot of bluegill fishing, will the 6wt be overkill?
A 6wt would work, just like an 8wt, but this is more of a ? of what you want to get out of the fight. When I chase crappies and bluegills, I like to use my 4wt, makes it much more fun. I've used my 5wt and 6wt, but alot more fun catching bull bluegills on a 4wt. I totally agree with Mr. Frank.

I'm debating between a 5wt and 6wt because I will occasionally go for smallies, shad, and schoolie stripers and want to throw slightly larger flies...please enlighten me if this can be done just as well on either.?
I use a 5wt and 6wt for smallies. I mainly use a 8wt for throwing heavier flies, to gain some distance with bigger flies, but mainly so my arm doesn't fall off at the end of day. When I use my 5wt for smallies, it's mainly close quarters.

Check out my video I did using my 5wt for smallies.

I was throwing 4 inch long deep clousers, but I didn't need any distance and I was being precise with my presentation, not alot of blind casting. My 6wt is my favorite for smallies, enuf backbone to fight a 20"+ smallies, but still fun fighting a 12" smallie. And still cast clousers a good distance, but then again I don't do a lot of blind casting, thats for my 8wt. My 6wt works well for fishing for night time browns with big dry flies.

If I had to choose between a 5wt or 6wt, I personally would choose a 6wt med or med/fast to let the rod work a little more for you when casting bigger flies, but you might sacrifice on getting that extra power in the wind that you get with a fast action.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Would the brand and make of rod factor into this? I am planning on a St. Legend Elite...I've heard that these generally perform one wt higher than they are marked. (5wt feels like a 6wt and so forth)

Thanks for the info guys, and yes I do fish the the Big D.
Hi jwang,

The legend Elite is a fine rod with a fast to extra-fast action. They use their SCV graphite with graphite scrim. I think if you are a good caster the Elite will work well with the designated line weight. If you are a beginner then some people might cast better with the rod over-lined to slow down the action a bit. Your best action would be to cast the rod with the designated line and see how you like it. If you are buying from a local dealer, then make sure he will let you exchange the line if it doesn't meet your expectations. A good compromise may be to use a SA GPX line. It is a half line wt heaver than a standard line weight.

Where are you hearing that the rod works better over-lined?

Frank

sandfly

Reaction score
Frank,
When I worked for Orvis i would get the same thing, most average casters cannot cast the designated line and will step up one to compensate..I would always recommend if you are not an expert or have alot of experiance dont get a fast rod...med to slow are better for the average caster, just common sense..

jwang

Reaction score
Hi jwang,

The legend Elite is a fine rod with a fast to extra-fast action. They use their SCV graphite with graphite scrim. I think if you are a good caster the Elite will work well with the designated line weight. If you are a beginner then some people might cast better with the rod over-lined to slow down the action a bit. Your best action would be to cast the rod with the designated line and see how you like it. If you are buying from a local dealer, then make sure he will let you exchange the line if it doesn't meet your expectations. A good compromise may be to use a SA GPX line. It is a half line wt heaver than a standard line weight.

Where are you hearing that the rod works better over-lined?

Frank
Sorry, not overlined...but has the casting ability and backbone of another brands 1wt up

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi jwang,

Nothing to be sorry about. I mis-read your post. I hope I didn't throw off the responses you got. Did you get your question answered?