brand new and wanting to start fly fishing!!

streamwalker

Reaction score
ok well i have been toying around with the idea of buying a fly rod for a few months now..im really a bass/crappie/carp fisher so trout is all new to me. i live in the mountains of north carolina and have plenty of streams and lakes near me filled with trout so i really wanna start learning how to fly fish.

so anyways im 18 years old and aint got a ton of money to spend ive been looking on cabelas to try and find a good starter combo to buy but cant seem to decide there is to many! so where should i start there?? also what flys should i purchase?? i have up to about 300 im going to allow myself to spend to get started.

thanks guys and im looking forward to learning from yall!

Reactions: Ard

williamhj

Reaction score
A Cabelas combo could be a good place to start, but I can't recommend one over another. If I were you, I'd send an email to Justin at Allen Fly Fishing (they are sponsors of the forum). Lots of folks like their stuff and he sometimes runs deals for forum members. Additionally, Albright fly fishing is offering a sale online. Topwater rods for $75 and reels for $25 and up and lines for under 30. I'm sure others will have suggestions, but for 300 you'll have options.

As for flies, not sure for your area. Best would be to chat with folks in a fly shop. Also, read some books. I read several by Tom Rosenbauer, Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing, Reading Trouts Streams, and Prospecting for Trout as well as their Guide to fishing small streams. All very helpful for me. Give you info on equipment as well as flies, etc. Check if you can get them through your library.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'll let others chimb in about gear.

It is best if you start fly fishing with someone who knows what he/she is doing. If you have a local fly shop or a fly fishing club, get started there. Those are valuable resources that will get you started. Most clubs have mentoring programs.

Dennis

fire instructor

Reaction score
Talk to Justin, as others have suggested. Allen is the Primo vendor for us, as they are "one of us". Even Orvis (and LL Bean, & others) have turned into big box clothing stores that happen to sell fly fishing equipment....

hillbilly rick

Reaction score
I'll let others chimb in about gear.

It is best if you start fly fishing with someone who knows what he/she is doing. If you have a local fly shop or a fly fishing club, get started there. Those are valuable resources that will get you started. Most clubs have mentoring programs.

Dennis

I'm with Dennis on this one. Do a web search for local clubs, My first two fly rods were given to me by friends that were upgrading. Unfortunately, one tip broke as I was pulling line through and the other got run over by my ex-wife:mad:.
If you spend good $$$ on a set up, get one with a lifetime warranty, then you won't break it:biggrin:

streamwalker

Reaction score
looking like im going with a allen setup! i contacted justin and im going to go with the ATS rod 5wt 8'6 and the trout series reel. im going to roder it tomorrow cant wait! he also said if down the road i feel like i need a 9' rod then he dont have a problem me trading in on one. what a great company!

stenacron

Reaction score
looking like im going with a allen setup! i contacted justin and im going to go with the ATS rod 5wt 8'6 and the trout series reel. im going to roder it tomorrow cant wait! he also said if down the road i feel like i need a 9' rod then he dont have a problem me trading in on one. what a great company!
Sounds like a nice starter combo... should serve you well.

Here's a book that I always thought was extremely helpful for starting out, it's the Orvis Fly-fishing Guide and it can literally be had for pennies on Amazon. It covers everything from gear, to casting, to flies, to fish, to rise forms... and everything in between.

Tight lines!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Orvis-Fly-Fishing-Guide-Rosenbauer/dp/0941130924/ref=sr_1_2/?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336971158&sr=1-2/?tag=citofgamonlco-20"]Amazon.com: The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide (9780941130929): Tom Rosenbauer: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71NYCKE0EBL.@@AMEPARAM@@71NYCKE0EBL[/ame]

rangerrich99

Reaction score
ok well i have been toying around with the idea of buying a fly rod for a few months now..im really a bass/crappie/carp fisher so trout is all new to me. i live in the mountains of north carolina and have plenty of streams and lakes near me filled with trout so i really wanna start learning how to fly fish.

so anyways im 18 years old and aint got a ton of money to spend ive been looking on cabelas to try and find a good starter combo to buy but cant seem to decide there is to many! so where should i start there?? also what flys should i purchase?? i have up to about 300 im going to allow myself to spend to get started.

thanks guys and im looking forward to learning from yall!
I'm pretty sure you can do a search and find more than a couple threads about this topic, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

First, Cabela's should have a free flycasting class; take it. They will have demo rods and reels there for your use. Make things a bit easier on yourself and at least learn a basic casting stroke before putting down any money on a rod and reel combo.

Once you have a basic cast, testdrive as many rods as you can; even rods you know you can't afford. Eventually you'll find an action you like more than the others, which will help you narrow your choices when you buy a rod.

There's a whole long story of how I got started flyfishing, but short version is that I was a conventional bass fisherman like yourself looking for something different.

I ended up at Cabela's, and picked up a Cabela's Traditional II 9ft. 5 wt. rod and reel combo for $90. This is a med. fast action rod, which came with a plastic reel, backing, and Cabela's Prestige Plus fly line. I caught literally hundreds of fish on this rig, from 3 inches up to 18 before I upgraded about two years ago. In retrospect, the combo was actually a great deal. The rod's performance was more than adequate. Before I was done with it, I was able to cast at least 50 ft. if there wasn't too much wind. And it was reasonably accurate. The cheapo reel came with a decent drag, which came in handy once or twice. And I still use the line. I believe they still offer this combo for about the same price.

As for flies, you're best bet would be to hit up some local fly shops, tell them where you plan to fish and buy four or five kinds of whatever it is they say the fish are biting on.

It might sound kind of like this: "Well, if you're going to fish Lake/River X, some of our customers have been doing pretty good on Adams/foam hoppers/some kind of emerger. But Joe, he got a biggun on an olive streamer down around whatever bend . . ."

If you can't do that, try a general range of patterns, such as the one my mentor told me:

"Get three subsurface patterns, and two dries. Start with a beadhead black wooly bugger. Then some color hares ear, like natural, then some color copper john, like black. Get the CJs a bit smaller than the hares ears. For dries, you can go anywhere in the country and catch fish on an Adams. The other dry should be significantly bigger or smaller and a different color. Here, buy those orange stimulators."

Note: flies are not like conventional lures/baits. Some dries will only survive one fish. So get multiple examples of any pattern. Like four black wooly buggers, or 5 Adams. Dries are generally less durable than wets. Also, you're going to lose a lot of flies to bushes, trees, rocks. Maybe even a few fish. I had a day where I lost 18 flies in about an hour and a half. I got back to the truck with 3 flies. But I caught a few fish.

Finally, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but there's a lot of other stuff you're going to need, such as leaders and tippet, hemostats, nippers, etc. Do yourself a favor and keep it simple. A couple 3x leaders, a couple 4x leaders. A couple spools of tippet, probably 4x and 5x. Buy a small spool of 6 lb. flouro for fishing that bugger, don't even bother using a leader with that.

Anyway, good luck, and good hunting. Oh, and cabela's generally has a decent selection of quality flies, but they tend to be pricey. I pick out the ones I like then buy them elsewhere if I can.

Peace.

tbblom

Reaction score
I got a cabelas traditional II with the konic combo, and the cabelas RLS combo.
For the money both have been great, although no lifetime warranty.

If $300 is what you have total to get started, consider saving the last $100 for leader, tippet, a fly box, forceps, nippers, flies, maybe a net too? Since you are thinking about a 5wt, get some streamers too (ie get some big fish!)

A box of 5-10 flies won't last long when you are starting, I filled a box with $.50 clearance flies when I started. Unless the fish are really spooky, I wouldn't bother with smaller than 5x tippet (you'll just be wondering where the fly went and for how long it has been gone.)

Once you get one species figured out, just change target fish and the learning curve starts all over.

chi_fly

Reaction score
Streamwalker, I am just starting out too. And it looks like you have attracted som great advice. Thanks for posting and thanks for asking. And thanks to all the people who have responded. I have only fished with the fly for about 45 minutes and I was hooked instantly. I spend part of every day online researching, looking for advice, and watching videos and everyday I learn more and more. This is a great community that is openly willing to impart wisdom and advice on us more novice fishermen(women). Thanks and good luck landing that lunker!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
A box of 5-10 flies won't last long when you are starting, I filled a box with $.50 clearance flies when I started. Unless the fish are really spooky, I wouldn't bother with smaller than 5x tippet (you'll just be wondering where the fly went and for how long it has been gone.)
Bingo!

This is some of the best advice about flies & leaders I've read. Right on Tevis; let me know if I'm butchering your name OK..... :eek:

tbblom

Reaction score
That's it (pronounced Teh-vis, sorry for the thread jacking!)
I only figured out this stuff in the last few years... but now that I catch some fish I like to post like I know thing or two :D

I have a lot of empathy for beginners (and I still am one in the grand scheme of things); walking into a fly shop with 1000's of flies seems daunting until you figure out which 5 you are actually going to use.
And then there is the lingo...

WD40, rs2, PMD, BWO, PMX, #16, 1/0, 7wt, 190gr, WF, DT, Double haul, riffle, chironimid; it is all like learning a foreign language at first. And I don't even know the first thing about skagits, scandians, spey, switch, featherwings, or how to do a snap-T.

This site has helped immensely, I only wish I had found it earlier. Welcome to the affliction and can't wait to see some fish pics.
TB

streamwalker

Reaction score
ordered my rod and reel from Justin. my principal has been tying flies for 28 years and is a tour guide around the area so im going to his house once my rod comes in and hes going to train me well on everything and take me to the streams another day cant wait to give a go at this sport!