Next to your right hand.

What do you have to drink while tying

• Total voters

FISHN50

Reaction score
When you sit down for a tying session what is your preferred beverage to have right there next to you? I stay away from coffee & will usually have a sipping glass of Glenlivit nearby.......It helps steady my hands. I will say that after a few hours of tying & sipping I come up with some interesting new patterns.-

ak allen

Reaction score
Oh that's an easy one, an number of excellent micro-brew IPA, or DIPA's! If I had to choose just one it would be UnEarthly by Southern tier brewing Co

Although I love me some bourbon too!

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I generally don't drink while tying flies although if I do have a beer I drink Mirror pond IPA or Inversion made by the Deschutes Brewery. I only ever make 1 or 2 flies at a time because I have a bunch already. The exceptions are when I tie for a charity auction or a swap. I need to make a few AK. Assassins and Skykomish soon and I'll be sure to drink a Mirror Pond while I make them ;)

fat caddis

Reaction score
Nice!

I wish that I could say that I poured myself a Laphroaig ever time that I tied a fly but I could simply not afford it! I enjoy most Islay whiskeys- guess it's the heavy peaty taste that just lingers longer!

But practically it all depends on why I am tying and what time of the day it is.

If I am just churning out flies at the last minute then its usually coffee and nothing spectacular. A normal evening's tying session would be accompanied by one of our local (and cheaper) whiskeys, more than likely Bells which is a scottish blend.

stenacron

Reaction score
Normally I just wear a hydration pack so I never have to stop tying. :p

But lately much of tying has been in the mornings before work, so it's a 24-oz cup "cup of Joe" sitting on my desk.

mrfzx

Reaction score
JW Scotch, Green Label. The flies tend get more disproportionate as the night goes on.
Green Label? The JW Black is my staple, and love the JW Blue (but its a bit pricey for everyday). How does the Green compare?

nymtber

Reaction score
I have yet to tie flies, BUT if I were tying flies, it would be beer! And likely homebrew if I have some around! I try not to keep too much homebrew, I go through phases of beer drinking, sometimes I will have one or two a night for a week or so, and then go a month without hardly having more than a few beers a week.

Currently have a Homebrew Kolsch beer that is just carbonated and coming around to be a tasty brew. I don't think my beer is as good as most decent micro-brews, but I enjoy making it and its pretty tasty (makes BMC beer taste like water...) I am still using extract as I don't have money/time/space for all-grain.

If its really cold out, JD on the rocks...

Hombre06

Reaction score
Green Label? The JW Black is my staple, and love the JW Blue (but its a bit pricey for everyday). How does the Green compare?
If you drink your scotch straight, then JW Green will taste a lot stronger than Black and has a deep, strong, smooth burn. Never had the Blue Label though. I always tell myself to try something different but each time I go to the store, I walk out with JW Green. vr

len s

Reaction score
I have just started tying, mostly pheasant tails and foam terrestrials, anyway I NEVER have anything liquid on the desk. I tend to follow the same rules tying as I do when reloading. Speaking of tying maybe one of you will know the answer to a question my son asked me. We were watching something about fly fishing on TV and someone mentioned a "spinner fall" Now he is 13 and has fished spinner baits and inline spinners so he had an idea when he asked me what a spinner fall was. When I explained that it was when adult mayflies mated,died, and fell on the water. A spinner is what an adult mayfly is called. He looked at me the same way he did when I mentioned that my that my supervisor and HER wife just had a baby. :confused::confused::confused::confused: I did not have an answer on why they are called spinners. So why are adult mayflies called spinners?

Len S

cptxkirk

Reaction score
I have an allergy to wheat products yet a glass of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year single malt always finds its way next to my vise! Don't know how but I'm not complaining.

williamhj

Reaction score
Usually nothing... I knock over the jar of head cement often enough. Don't need another liquid around :) However, since I usually do my tying in the morning while my daughter is napping it would be coffee or diet coke if anything.

Noiso

Reaction score
Damn, I am left handed. NEXT SURVEY PLEASE!

Actually - I am so new at tying flies that a beverage would be an out of the question obstacle. I'd probably end up whip finishing my nose while trying to pry the head cemented glass from my lips.

raindogt

Reaction score
What? No 'RaindogT is awesome!' option????? (IMHO, EVERY poll should have that option...)

Short of the afore-mentioned option-- I'd have to go with single malt in the winter months and a nice pale or IPA in the spring/ summer/ fall months. Case in point:

In fact-- I've been known to have a Sierra Nevada Pale (or four) even when I'm not tying.... like right now. =)

pa dave

Reaction score
I like a nice Tito's vodka and tonic with lime.

I remember reading about one of the Slaymaker family (Slaymaker Lock Co.) who only tied flies if there was snow on the ground, and when he tied, he'd pour a glass of fine scotch. He would dip the flies in the scotch to see how they looked when wet. Of course, he sipped too, and when the scotch was gone he was done tying for the evening.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Typically Weller and water for me. I prefer Knob Creek, but I'm persistently short on extra money.

I generally don't drink while tying flies although if I do have a beer I drink Mirror pond IPA or Inversion made by the Deschutes Brewery.
Fine choices there my friend, not that I'm surprised. I also recommend their Red Chair NW PA highly.