What if there's no hatch?

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'm a noob too, so please be patient if this is a dumb question.

First the story: I went up to the Poudre River in Northern Colorado today and the river was baren of life as far as I could tell. I saw a few hoppers and butterflies but no stones, mayflies, or caddis. I turned over rocks... nothing. More rocks... nothing. Finally I saw a caddis in it's little house of rocks, but that was it. It was a mild day, probably in the high 60's or low 70's.

The water was kinda yellowish from a runoff I guess. And there were a bunch of kayakers and rafters.

So, my question is what do you tie on when there's no hatch? I didn't see a fish in the water, and didn't see any fish rising. I tried eddies, riffles, rapids. I tried dries and nymphs. Caddis nymphs and dries, mayfly nymphs and dries etc... Nothing.

All in all a pretty frustrating day considering it's a 4 hour round trip to get to the Poudre from my house.

evan_aff

Reaction score
When in doubt, I throw streamers... I actually throw streamers when I'm not in doubt as well.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'd use a Wooly Bugger, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, and even a Green Weenie if there wasn't anything on the surface. While there are LOTS of sub-surface flies, these are the ones I use most of the time...because they work. ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi BGP,

I will offer pictures and a link to something I wrote here on the forum about fishing streamers in less than perfect conditions. Since you are new you probably are not tying really fancy streamers. My brown trout streamer was 'The Answer' named aptly. If you could find a source for the streamer known as the 'Dark Spruce' it will work very well as it always did for me.

This links you to something you may find of use; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...g-streamers-less-than-perfect-conditions.html

This is a feather wing streamer, it is pictured dry in the vise and wet as it looks when swimming through the creeks and rivers. I have always relied on feather wings as my streamers. if I can find an on-line seller who has Dark Spruce flies for sale I'll PM you the web site.

The Answer;

When you get around to tying flies you can find a step by step tutorial in the Fly Tying Forum that our own Pocono did for streamers a while back. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll sort you out OK? The fly I tie is something I came up with quite a few years back for brown trout fishing. There is actually a thread somewhere that explains how it came about and how well it worked.

Ard

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
Streamers... huh, ok that makes sense. I guess I gotta go buy a few of those.

Thanks Ard. I really appreciate all your help.

evan_aff

Reaction score
Streamers... huh, ok that makes sense. I guess I gotta go buy a few of those.

Thanks Ard. I really appreciate all your help.
No need to get too scientific. Grab various woolly buggers and things of that nature. After a while, you'll start being more adventurous as your confidence builds.

vitesse304

Reaction score
There are ALWAYS bugs in the water.

I fished the poudre all through college and all year round.

prince nymphs, hare's ears and pheasant tails are all productive patterns. Just because there is no hatch, or you don't see a lot of bugs under rocks doesn't mean it's dead.

Considering the time of year, I would try san juans (run off season...) and maybe even start with an egg pattern. Even though the spawn is over for the bows, they still remember what eggs are and will still take them.

Another thing is to pick a productive stretch of water. Fish won't hold up in every piece of water available. They will want to be away from predators and anything that scares them. (kayakers, swimmers, fisherman...)

If you're driving 4 hours to fish the poudre, you're going to the wrong piece of water...where are you located? I'm sure there's a place that's closer or even the same distance that will be much more productive than the poudre. Not that it's a bad piece of water...but it isn't the best fishery in the state. The big Thompson in my opinion is 10x better and it's just another 30 min drive up the canyon.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Try an ant, beetle, or hopper, then drop a zebra midge off of it. There should be terrestrials out by now. milt.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I also need to buy more flies. HAHA
Dont feel bad, I went up to RMNP Saturday fished 6 hours saw nothing when seining except a few and I mean a few midges. I ran every fly I had , varying weights etc etc, move holes every few minutes if unsuccessful. Finally at last I thought heck with it and tied on a dry.....bam but of course I missed him.

Still had a beautiful day in the rain , almost had RMNP all to myself due to weather , talk about quiet and peaceful....almost eerily quiet

Besides the hot blonde runner girl in Yoga pants:shocking:and a jog bra who insisted on chatting me up in the parkinglot :shocking:

Noiso

Reaction score
Did you try a hopper since you saw them? A stimulator works as a hopper. I like to serve up stimulators in that situation anyway. Big, gaudy and visible to both you and the fish.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Dont feel bad, I went up to RMNP Saturday fished 6 hours saw nothing when seining except a few and I mean a few midges. I ran every fly I had , varying weights etc etc, move holes every few minutes if unsuccessful. Finally at last I thought heck with it and tied on a dry.....bam but of course I missed him.

Still had a beautiful day in the rain , almost had RMNP all to myself due to weather , talk about quiet and peaceful....almost eerily quiet

Besides the hot blonde runner girl in Yoga pants:shocking:and a jog bra who insisted on chatting me up in the parkinglot :shocking:
Hope you hit the hookset on that last one comeonavs!:cool: milt.

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
Hope you hit the hookset on that last one comeonavs!:cool: milt.
To answer a few questions:

I live closest to Deckers or Clear Creek (I live in Littleton) but wanted to try some place new. Especially since the Deckers area of the South Platte has such a reputation of being hard to fish due to the pressure.

I didn't have any terrestrial patterns with me. Which figures since I just took some hopper patterns out of my box the other day. I tried a Royal Coachman because it was nice and bright. And I was kicking myself for not replacing my stash of beaded princes.

I guess the lesson here is always have a nice streamer in your box and stick to the river you know.

But, I haven't been fishing long so this is how you learn I guess.

Davo

Reaction score
Ip here on the Snake when there is little or no hatch going on I'll use some attractor patterns combined with what should be hatching to get clients some action. Royal Wolfs, PMX's, Stimi's, Hoppers and Chernobyls with a smaller May fly trailer 6-8" tied off the bend of the first fly. Parachute Adams or Hares ears are good attractors too!

tbblom

Reaction score
It may just be the spring weather, small runoff, and a few cold days over the weekend. I also had a slow weekend.

Boulder creek is usually dead easy ( I learned there). I can usually count on at least catching a few small browns.
But, I did get the skunk the other day on BC right after the weather cleared.
With faster water, you might have the right flies but not the right depth, Fish could be holding tight to the bottom and right next to rocks in eddies. Split shot can help, just make sure your flies are tagging bottom occasionally.
Or, use a longer line between the dry and dropper.
Sometimes if you start walking the river you will find a pod of fish all holding in the same spot. If you saw no fish, good chance they are all hanging together in a deep slow spot. I have found pods of ~100 fish on BC when the flow conditions start to change and they have not all spread out yet. A few weeks ago I found a pod and landed ~12 in about 2 hours. Went back to the same spot later that week twice and got nothing... just gotta walk and find them. Streamers are great for locating fish because even if you don't get the take you will see them chase and swipe at it. Find them, then nymph them. Change depth before you change your fly.
Fast flows, I start using all the flashy stuff that has been hiding in my box all winter. Also, even if you don't see any, a big #8 stonefly nymph can be a good attractor ahead of a smaller fly like your caddis pupes.

I fish almost daily for maybe a couple of hours, send me a PM if you are around Boulder or heading to the T, There are a couple of other sweet spots that are between. Also, the warm water bite has been great for perch, bass, walleye, gills, carp, etc. A lot of people don't even bother fishing runoff (although I think it is a fun challenge, and usually without crowds).

Back to my point: Spring is erratic, I've had stellar days and skunk days. It is always easier to catch fish when you are enjoying yourself though... it is as if the fish know when you are taking it too seriously!:army:

vitesse304

Reaction score
To answer a few questions:

I live closest to Deckers or Clear Creek (I live in Littleton) but wanted to try some place new. Especially since the Deckers area of the South Platte has such a reputation of being hard to fish due to the pressure.

I didn't have any terrestrial patterns with me. Which figures since I just took some hopper patterns out of my box the other day. I tried a Royal Coachman because it was nice and bright. And I was kicking myself for not replacing my stash of beaded princes.

I guess the lesson here is always have a nice streamer in your box and stick to the river you know.

But, I haven't been fishing long so this is how you learn I guess.
Screw Deckers...;) There's much better fishing at less crowded places.

Clear Creek is good, but subject to run-off. Guanella pass is good for some brookies and a fun day with a 0-3 wt.

I'm headed to fish the Blue next Tuesday or Wednesday. You are welcome to come and I'll put you on some fish. We can stop at the shop in Silverthorne, load up with some flies and catch some of these:

There isn't much of a run off at tailwaters, especially this year with the low snow pack so I would head there instead of trying to hit up a "front range" river.

The Blue is the closest to Denver with good fish. If you have the time, a trip up to the frying pan and roaring fork would be worth it. The stoneflies are coming off and the salmonflies are starting up on the Colorado.

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
Screw Deckers...;) There's much better fishing at less crowded places.

Clear Creek is good, but subject to run-off. Guanella pass is good for some brookies and a fun day with a 0-3 wt.

I'm headed to fish the Blue next Tuesday or Wednesday. You are welcome to come and I'll put you on some fish. We can stop at the shop in Silverthorne, load up with some flies and catch some of these:

There isn't much of a run off at tailwaters, especially this year with the low snow pack so I would head there instead of trying to hit up a "front range" river.

The Blue is the closest to Denver with good fish. If you have the time, a trip up to the frying pan and roaring fork would be worth it. The stoneflies are coming off and the salmonflies are starting up on the Colorado.
That would be great! I'll PM you right now. I need a guide for sure.