8WT rod

colin272

Reaction score
Hey guys another question hear. I am considering getting a lot more serious in fishing for big bass, catfish, and carp. I have a 6wt rod now do I really need an 8wt for throwing big flies or will my 6wt work? I'm looking at size 2 or so in flies. Any and all help is appreciated.

riverbilly

Reaction score
Just my experience.
I throw size 1 and 2 clousers and craws with the medium dumbbells (1/30 oz.) with my 5wt. all the time with no problem. I've caught 5#+ bass on that set up. If it is windy, throwing big top water type of flies is harder on the 5wt.

For catfish I've caught them up to 20" on the 5 easy enough, but when I hooked a 26"er I thought it was going to break the rod. This is in a kayak though so fishing from the bank/wading is probably different. Catfish always want to get under the boat.

I do have a 8wt and use it in big bass areas with lots of cover so I can keep the fish under control better. I also like to throw big articulated stuff and need the 8wt for that.

Haven't caught a good carp yet so I can't comment on that.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
You can make a 6 work, especially if you use a heavier line on it, but an 8 will work better.

I don't know exactly what conditions you want to fish in, and how often you would use it, so I would say try fishing with your 6 first, and if it's too frustrating, then you will know you want something bigger. Also, if you're only going to fish that way on rare occasions it might be less compelling to get a heavier outfit than if you want to fish that way a lot.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Depending on your fly choice, a six weight can work, but an eight weight will be the more versatile choice.

My preference is an eight weight for large bass. It has the muscle to throw large deer hair flies as well as the monster sized Pole Dancer flies. It also has the backbone to pull Homie out of the weeds.

Dennis

stl_geoff

Reaction score
it can work, however the first time you hook up with a BIG carp you will wish you had more. i use an 8wt for carp and it fits the bill pretty good. I have an 11wt I have been using lately just to get used to it and it makes carp pretty easy to handle. I dont think I would recommend an 11 over the 8, but I threw soem 10-12" long flies with my old 8 and it was definitly needed for heaving those big flies.

stanbiker

Reaction score
Hey guys another question hear. I am considering getting a lot more serious in fishing for big bass, catfish, and carp. I have a 6wt rod now do I really need an 8wt for throwing big flies or will my 6wt work? I'm looking at size 2 or so in flies. Any and all help is appreciated.
Of course you need an 8! You can never have too many flyrods......:D

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I was at the big box store the other day buying an 8wt line in the "bargain cave".
The guy at the counter needed to ask if I knew it was an 8wt line and when I responded that I had four 8wt rods and used them more than any other size that I owned his jaw dropped :rolleyes:

Vans

Reaction score
Of course you need an 8! You can never have too many flyrods......:D

Much wisdom in this post.

How about this, if you have doubts about an 8, get a 7. There are a few brands out there that produce really good rods at a great price. Allen and Echo come to mind...

ditz

Reaction score
If you want a 7wt with a lot of backbone buy a Colton. I have over lined mine with an 8 line. I think if one is strong enough it would stop a truck. I really like mine. :secret:

bucktail

Reaction score
I highly reccomend an 8 its fun getting fish on a 6 but as said before when a monster slurps up your fly your gonna want more than a 6 its better for the fish and better for you not to have to tier them out all the way. And may I reccomend the G Loomis pro4x its been my go to rod this year ad in 8 weight its amazing.:D

gt05254

Reaction score
8 wts. have become so light that, when I cast one a thousand times per day, I hardly notice. And so many different actions....find one that suits, and have a blast.
Gary

matt o

Reaction score
Look for a Redington Predator 8wt. They make a shorter 7ft10in rod specifically for bass. I found mine on Sierra Trading Post for CHEAP. It was less than $100 with a coupon I used. I have caught several nice bass on it and it can't be beat for the price.

ben664

Reaction score
Hi guys !

I'm also looking for a 8 wt rod. One question for Alaskan anglers : for Silver salmon in august and rainbows, is it better a 9' or 10 ' rod ? I saw the Echo Ion and look a great rod (I have an Echo 3 and love it !)

Thancks

L

Liphookedau

Hi Colin.
Gary hit The Nail on The Head,you can hardly notice the difference between using an 8Wt all day & A Lighter Rod,a #8 Rod will do the job better.

Ben. I don't think you'll go wrong with a 8Wt to take to Alaska.
At one Lodge I used an 8Wt for Trout & Salmon another I used a 6Wt as I mainly caught Rainbows.
Also as mentioned there are some 7Wts with heaps of Grunt,however I'd still go for an 8Wt in a 9Ft even though I have The longer Rods,which I find are better suited for Lake use.
Brian

L

Liphookedau

Ben,at this stage I'm uncertain as I caught a Virus & haven't been 100% for two months now,I'm slowly improving & hopefully I can return this year,if not it will be definately next year..

Brian.

ben664

Reaction score
Ben,

I use a 9ft rod, it seems most of my friends here use a 9ft, or go 2 handed.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nd14ax
Ok Stanbiker, I thinck I' will go for a 9'.

Thanck you

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Ben,at this stage I'm uncertain as I caught a Virus & haven't been 100% for two months now,I'm slowly improving & hopefully I can return this year,if not it will be definately next year..

Brian.
He Brian !! I hope you'll get better and fighting with big silvers !! :thumbsupu

See you

Ben