I mad the chancge from a common theif to up close and personal with Robin Leach

db cooper

Reaction score
Ahh Orvis...sweet Orvis

I fell in love with the two most wonderful ladies. Stepped into a Orvis endorsed fly shop the other day and fell in love. I had no intention of doing so but i was coerced into casting a Helios. Ave Maria! Far and away one of the best casting 4 weight rods i have ever handled. I have cast one or two before but this was considered a 6.5 midflex. Effortless tight loops, reserve power for days, and its lays them down from 15 ft all the way to 70ft with the same stroke and effort. :eek:I cant believe it.

The second is their Superfine touch. I also cast a 7'6 5 weight and fell in love. Talk about the perfect brookie/panfish rod. In the past i used 4 weights but overlined them to a 5 to get a full flexing rod that could cast up close as well as turn over the larger bush flies i often use like size 10 Stimys and big wulf patterns. There it sat in all of its un-sanded beauty waiting for me.

Last edited:

mojo

Reaction score
Joni has a Helios, and she loves it also.
But the Superfine's, that's another story. Those rods have personality. They are like a part of you when you cast them. Years ago, I had a Trout Bum. Then the TB was a 4wt. only. Like a dumb a$$ I sold it. Worst mistake of my fishing life.
But, Joni has one I can use, and I have the 4wt. One Ounce, and the 5 wt. Far and Fine. These are all the gray unsanded, except the TB which is the next generation SF's- red blank color.
I think Ard is a Superfine fan too.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I borrowed a friend's 4wt trout bum and I agree with you guys, a great full flex rod! Caught my personal best wild brown for that particular system on that rod, it was quite fun! And while I've heard that Helios have a tendency to be on the more fragile end of the spectrum, the Orvis company has a pretty decent warranty so that should make up for it.

As far as the connection between Orvis and Biggie, well I'd say I like them both.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
There are elements of the Helios that are good at protecting the rod (namely the recoil guides) but when you have what is touted as the lightest rod on the market, I wouldn't expect it to be heavily resilient. But I don't own one, nor have I broke one, so I'm not the authority here.

theboz

Reaction score
Helios is a great stick. My lodge has ten of them exclusively for our clients. Man are they spoiled. Or is it I'm jealous. Either way I get to use them at work and what a pleasure.Exactly as Db stated don't matter short or 70 ft same effortless tight loop cast!

Hombre06

Reaction score
I have a 5wt Helios and it's by far my favorite stick. When I go fishing I look at my other rods (Allen & Loop) but I always grab my Helios and take the Hydros as backup. The Helios does everything good for all situations on the water and it's been a pretty tough rod. These rods are expensive but they do perform very well.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
I had a similar experience earlier this year with a 10' 6wt Helios. Oh man was that thing sweet. Maybe someday...(yeah right)

fishthirty

Reaction score
...and Im far from cheap, smoke skunk wit my peeps all day, spread love its the Brooklyn way... enjoy the new toys

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Coop,

I've been casting a 7' 9" 5 weight Far & Fine since 1979. By the sounds of it the company is returning to its graphite roots with the action of these rods. I would never tell a fella not to buy a vintage Orvis Graphite off the auction site. If the seller does not list the age of the rod ask them to check the butt cap. The production dates are etched there. Any rod from the 1975 / 76, 7' to the 8.5' Limestone will be a dream to cast.

I have tried to influence some members to buy these old Orvis rods for years. Thus far I don't know of anyone who has bought a rod of the vintage of which I give such high regard. Some folks expressed concern about the warranty being long since expired and so on but I have no such trepidations when looking for them. An old rod in pristine condition can be had well under 300 dollars and you simply take care of it and forget the warranty thing.

To try to wrap up my thoughts about the early Orvis graphite (superfine) rods; the reason I have cast so few of their newer rods is that the old ones are so good I have no desire to try anything else. You could suppose that I am missing the boat by being this way, or perhaps I've been sailing happily on the boat for over three decades :)