Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default 12wt Fly Line Advice

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to fly line for my 12wt reel. I would like to know if it would be best to buy floating, intermediate or sinking line?

I will be buying a spare spool at some point but not really sure when that will be, so im just wondering which type of line would be the best all round until i get another spool.

I dont really have a species im going to target in particular as im planning on using it for any species of fish that needs a very large fly chucking at it.

Cheers

Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12wt Fly Line Advice

I would figure out your line choice when you make your choice on what you are fishing for and where.

Dennis

Im mainly going to use it for saltwater stuff

You really can't choose a line until you know what you're going to do with it.
    I'll fish a 12wt floating line in the surf at Cape Cod when the baits are big..Like 8 inches or better. Some one else might fish an intermediate in the same situation. If you're a boater an integrated line would make much more sense.
    The fact is though, you're not going to need a 12wt of any kind all that often here in New England when fishing "inshore" (Even if you were out chasing blue fins, you'd want a 14wt )
    If I were you, I'd wait to get something until I was sure that I had a use for it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Thanks for the info, Im moving out to Hawaii to so im planning to use it there.