Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Wts

1. Thumbs up 8 Wts

Anyone have any comparison experience with a Sage TCR, T&T Helix, or a Winston BoronIIx in 8 wt. Primary use being in rivers and estuaries after silvers and steelhead. Thanks in advance.

2. Default Re: 8 Wts

Quote Originally Posted by flyrrr61 View Post
    Anyone have any comparison experience with a Sage TCR, T&T Helix, or a Winston BoronIIx in 8 wt. Primary use being in rivers and estuaries after silvers and steelhead. Thanks in advance.
    Not exactly...POV salt but I fish a 9 wt TCR and have borrowed/fished IIx I like the TCR because it works for me with a shorter stroke...timing is important...the IIx 9wt flexes more...look at the IImx but try them before you buy...I "lawn" casted the IImx 8 through 12 really liked them better than IIx...give them a side by side trial with the same line

3. Default Re: 8 Wts

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of the IImx vice the IIx. What is the difference? Cheers.

5. Default Re: 8 Wts

I have a Trident TLS 8wt, but recently got the BIIx. It feels like a 5wt. I love the SNAPPINESS it has....what a great rod.

6. Default Re: 8 Wts

The Winston is much softer - it loads easily - than the TCR, so it might be better for steelhead. I wouldn't buy a TCR until you've cast it. They say the rod is not for everyone.

Randy Kadish

7. Default Re: 8 Wts

I would hold judgement on that till I have checked out the BIImx. It is suppose to be ............FAST?!

8. Default Re: 8 Wts

Try try try them out side by side...same line, same time...same shop...for $700 plus retail I would make sure...cause if I had it to do over I would try the 9 wt TCR before I built one...I tried the 8 but not the 9...the 9 is ok but not special...whereas the 10 wt TCR that I built last winter after trying one in FLA...is special and is my go to rod for everything in salt except large tarpon and only when targeting such fish in the 100 lb class but then I have never had an average or so so 10 wt from Sage they really have that wt dialed in...timing in critical with the TCR if your arm gets tired...you're in for a long day...for example I used the TCR 10 for 3 days this past July...caught bonefish permit and tarpon 60-80 lbs no problem..now late summer had to do some fishing ... so went for river smallies Indiana...after three hours of nearly constant blind casting with the 10 wt TCR my arm was "raggity" and my timing went south...and my casting was S...

Thumbs down Re: 8 Wts

Oh NO!!!! NOT the George Anderson review!

Isn't that the same one in which the rods he boasts of helping design also ended up his best picks?

Read that carefully. It really is full of holes.

Default Re: 8 Wts

Ya well.

Not saying its gospel, but there is some objective info in there that useful for comparisons.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast