Leaky Waders

legrand

Reaction score
I have own now for a few years a pair of breathable Williams Joseph waders.

Use them to open and close the pool during colder water temperature. Noticed twice now this past few weeks, that when I take them off, I have the crotch area of my clothes wet / damp. No, no it's not what you might think.

Only thing I can assume is that the water slowly seeps-in by the tread/seam area, since I did not noticed any punctures or rips.

Any possible solution to my problem, like putting some silicone or sealant on the seams?

jaybo41

Reaction score
Take your waders with you and go into a dark room with a flashlight. Put the flashlight inside the waders and run it along the seams to find the holes. Mark that area with a pen on the inside of course, and then use Aqua Seal. The trick with Aqua Seal is that a little goes a long way. Can't stress that point enough.

FISHN50

Reaction score
If breathable waders are dirty they will seep . Try washing them with a mild detergent in the tub, make sure they are rinsed off thoroughly & a rejuvenator like ReviveX works. Ck out these sites.
How to Clean Breathable Waders | Trails.com
Washing Breathable Waders | MidCurrent
I had a pair that i had rolled up wet & forgot about in the car. The next time I went to use them there was mold on the outside, plus the smell & they leaked. I washed them & used ReviveX & got another few years out of them.

legrand

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Seems there is a dealer of Revivex in Ottawa, ON (at Mountain Equipment).

Going to do all the steps (flashlight trick, washing and rinsing the waders, drying them in and out, and then applying the Revivex (or Aqua-Seal) and heating it afterwards with hair-dryer to activate the stuff on the waders.

jaybo41

Reaction score
This really only works well with GorTex; dang it!
Precisely why I went the direction of the flashlight in a dark room. Good call fred:thmbup:

It might not be a bad idea to give them a good wash and use the Revivex on them before doing the test. This way you may uncover some additional spots to repair and the seal may hold a little better if clean. Good call on cleaning. Revivex works very well, when I've used it and have always been very pleased with the results.

Legrand, as a suggestion on where to find Revivex, you can also look on Amazon or possibly an online fly shop North of the border.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Thank you 41, and over time the darned things will just 'ware out' and loose the 'water proof.' Worst thing you can do (My Bad!:eek:) is leave the things in the back of your Jeep on lots of hot summer days. Regardless of the material ... they don't like that.

Not a bit.

[poke]

jaybo41

Reaction score
Worst thing you can do (My Bad!) is leave the things in the back of your Jeep on lots of hot summer days. Regardless of the material ... they don't like that.
Despite the fact that I have much love for fellow Jeep owners, waders left in the back of any vehicle is never a good thing. Long travel notwithstanding, mine are drying as soon as I get off the water and have a pace to hang them. Dry them inside out first, then flip them and dry the outside. A shop owner once gave me that advice and I've stuck to the practice since then.