Did i invent a fly?

grassonfly

Reaction score
I was inspired by swirlchaser's bunny clouser to make a sort of double bunny clouser except i substituted craft fur strips for bunny strips.

webrx

Reaction score
I wouild say it is your call, there are a lot of flies that were "invented" as a variation of something else, heck, most are probably variations. If you want to say you invented it, cuz it is different than anything else, then by all means, it's yours. The important thing is will it catch fish, and if it does, then, keep tying them.

d

cptxkirk

Reaction score
I was inspired by swirlchaser's bunny clouser to make a sort of double bunny clouser except i substituted craft fur strips for bunny strips.
Where are these Bunny Clousers? Do you have a link to that post?

willki

Reaction score
I was on another forum recently when a question was raised about inventing vs variation of an existing fly. Point blank, in your circle, you probably have invented something. I'd be willing to bet, some one else has done the same thing at some point... But you never know.

In the end, who cares :)

Its YOUR fly. So, it's a pattern for you and those who see the images (post some up if you can) that try to tie it up.

Will

vitesse304

Reaction score
No. You did not. By definition, and by what you said, you created a variation.

Just substituting a different material type doesn't create a new fly.

An example of a "new" or unique fly would be the rojo midge. Although it is a simple tie like any other midge pattern, the gill tufts and red bead are completely different than any other commercial midge pattern out there.

But then again, technically, you could call the rojo midge a "variation" of a midge pattern as well. But it still is uniquely different that it is a new fly.

An example of variations would be clousers. Use what you like, any color bucktail, flashabou, tinsel, etc...it's still a clouser but a variation to imitate various baitfish. By substituting materials, you are changing the color, the way it moves, or the way it looks wet but the basic pattern is still tied the same with similar materials.

In the end, it's long and convoluted and not worth the debate. Like others before, if it catches fish, then use it. Call it what you want, heck name it after yourself!
:D

But by definition, it's just a variation...