caught my first 20+ inch brookie

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Larry, that's one big river and it's no secret.
.... it's like saying he caught it on the Truckee or the Yellowstone

iluv2fish

Reaction score
thanks.
caught a nice landlock salmon last week on the same river. It was a hair over 18

trout sniper

Reaction score
To bad no one else will ever catch it.:frown:
Yeah, but now some smaller fish can have a chance to grow up to his size without being gobbled up by that monster! Removing fish from often overpopulated fisheries isn't a bad thing, quite often it is beneficial.

Nice fish man! The only brookies I have caught that size were a lot less pretty, they had developed a brownish color to them.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
"Yeah, but now some smaller fish can have a chance to grow up to his size without being gobbled up by that monster! Removing fish from often overpopulated fisheries isn't a bad thing, quite often it is beneficial."

Okay so whicdh is it? Do you want the big fish returned to the water so that they will eat the small, overppulated ones, or do you want to remove the cannibals so that you will have more little ones? I am confused. I thought brookies tended to overpopulate lakes as they do here in Colorado:confused:

It is my understanding that in overpopulated populations, removal of the small fish is what is needed.

iluv2fish

Reaction score
the fish didnt go to waste. it made yummy table fare. Its not like he was the last one in there anyway. i have seen bigger caught and released.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Last week I caught a 33" rainbow and released it immediately. Of course I had plenty of Socks to eat in Alaska!:D

mrfzx

Reaction score
Here in my part of PA a 15" Brookie is a rare ond wonderful thing. I am envious! Congrats!!!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have no problem with someone harvesting a big brookie like that.
Their lifespan is only so long and a fish that size is old.
Harvesting it is making good used of a fish that may soon die anyway.

mikel

Reaction score
I have no problem with someone harvesting a big brookie like that.
If it's legal I'm ok with it. If not, it's poaching. Pretty simple. If the species is in trouble, then the knotheads that write the rules should protect them with the regs...seems to me...

wjc

Reaction score
The knotheads write fishing regulations to maximize tourist dollars. The fish population and health has little or nothing to do with it.

mikel

Reaction score
The knotheads write fishing regulations to maximize tourist dollars. The fish population and health has little or nothing to do with it.
Well, tourist dollars and lots of other reasons, like big agriculture dollars and on and on...I DID say "should".

Now we have a poster who will think twice about posting again because he caught a fish and legally took it and had to listen to all of this.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we're OK here, a fisherman always has the option of taking fish where the regulations allow for it. Although I don't take trout or char regularly sometimes one hangs itself on one of my salmon flies and gets hurt. When that happens I kill the fish and take them home. When reading this thread I realize that where this member is located, if you do not eat a brook trout or land locked salmon then you'll eat no wild fish. If I lived in Maine I'd probably be eating some land locks :)

iluv2fish

Reaction score
no hurt feeling here. i release 99% of what i catch. i kept this one cause my wife wanted to try a big trout. Hopefully i will have some more pics to post after next week. heading back up north for 3 days camping and fishing with my best bud/wife. should be lots of fun.