Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default How many "expletives" can fit on one small stream?

The answer is to many.Theres a beautiful little stream a couple of miles from my house. Seems like for ever I could stop in the evening take a short hike and catch a few natives . Rarely on a weekday did I see another person let alone fisherman.
    Well the county in it's infinite wisdom decided to make it a natural area ( jeez I thought it was natural already) and they put up a big picnic area with tables a roof porta Pottys grills you know all that natural stuff.
    Decided to stop down tonite after my doctors appointment unwind and make a few casts. So I sit down on one of the new picnic tables to tie on a new leader and just take in the day . Sure enough here comes the first guy. " Any good fishin spots"? I ask him what he ants to catch he says trout so I tell him several places around the area . Next thing I know him and 7 other members of BASS come pouring out of the van armed with lunker sticks . I guess this way the 6 in Brookies are guaranteed toast.
    Ok so I know what I have to do walk farther down stream then they do. About a mile in I find a familiar little stretch at the end of a riffle and two casts a pretty little Brook sucks in my Blue Wing. Just as I go to release him I realize a rods length away is a Roland Martin wannabe beer can in his left hand baitcaster in the right. Ok time to move. I could drag this out but best way to put it wherever I went so did Roland.
    Ok time to sit down and watch the stream roll by and hopefully the Bassmaster takes a hike . And finally he does.
    New plan I'm gonna walk back upstream where they've already been and get some solitude and maybe a fish or two.
    I/2 mile up little hatch going on and I'm alone or am I ? There just around the bend another guy and he's with fly. Cool. Did I say cool? He spots me ( to big to hide ) and comes slogging down the middle of the stream. Oh boy!
    " Did you see all those fish rising"? Yep . In my head im saying yeah it was great till you made a title wave down the middle of the stream! "What are you using"? A fly. Didn't get the hint.
    I'm not a cranky person nor do I care how other people do things but I'm starting to get the feeling that this is fly fishing hell.
    So now I head back upstream three beer cans collected later I find a spot. There on the opposite bank is a fish just sipping one bug after another. My 5th casts lands perfectly the drift is immaculate and bam he's on.
    Nothing like a 4 in Smallmouth to end a Bassmaster "expletive" day.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Default Re: How many "expletives" can fit on one small stream?

haha sounds like a good night you had! dont you love catching fish over another angler? the other day i headed up the mountain and got out of the car and noticed a guy in the creek with a spinner rod and his daughter on the bank. he was literally casting 2 feet infront of him in the same spot every time while his girl was throwing rocks in the creek. i noticed he was geting out so i asked if he minded me getting in the creek there and he said no. so i casted straight up the middle of the stream and pulled out a brown right infront of him. haha best felling ever! all he had to do was cast 25ft instead of 2

It does but I'd trade that for solitude anyway. I'm not asking for the whole stream just a little piece. Haha!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

i hear ya man..thats y lately i have been hiking way out and finding native streams that havent been touched...this is why im buying a shorter fly rod to haha my 8'6 gets in every lural bush there is!

Not to be blasphemous, but take a quote (out of context) from The Good Book: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

They are just anglers who know no other way. I'm more forgiving of them, as I used to BE one of them.
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

6. Likes fishindave liked this post

Sounds a lot like my day on the river fighting rafters, dogs, kids jumping off of cliffs into the water, and a swarm of kayakers. Never going back to that river ever again. Still managed to catch two Rainbows though.

Quote Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
    Not to be blasphemous, but take a quote (out of context) from The Good Book: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

They are just anglers who know no other way. I'm more forgiving of them, as I used to BE one of them.
    Haha! Rick I do forgive them and we all had to start somewhere. And nothing wrong with baitcasting. But there is a time and a place for everything and no matter how you started common sense and common courtesy comes first. Even as a newbie I would never think of standing that close to another fisherman unless he asked me to. And I Definately would not walk down the middle of a stream and most of all never leave garbage. Who raised these slobs to just drop there beer cans as they go! I forgive but I don't forget!