Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Another another new rod arrived

Got an Echo TR 13-1/2', 8 weight with a Rage head in the mail not long ago. That thing is scary long.
    All I can do is look at it in wonder for a couple more weeks. Until then it looks like Gawesworth, Buhr and You Tube will fill my spare time.
    Dang I like new adventures!

Default Re: Another another new rod arrived

You'll be having some fun now, Jackster! I've never tried one, but the scuttlebutt is that someone already good with a regular fly rod will be casting 100' with ease after an hour.

Make sure to post a followup after you give it a try and let us know how it worked out.

Cheers,
    Jim
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wjc View Post
    You'll be having some fun now, Jackster! I've never tried one, but the scuttlebutt is that someone already good with a regular fly rod will be casting 100' with ease after an hour.

Make sure to post a followup after you give it a try and let us know how it worked out.

Cheers,
    Jim
    I can't cast it for a couple more weeks (dammit!) but I loaned it to a friend to help figure out. He didn't spey cast it but in an overhead cast he said I didn't have enough running line on it. That means he went about 132' his first time out!
    Hold me back! I can't hardly wait!

Blog Entries

Hi Jack,

When I bought a Spey rod it came, I put it together, then I took it apart and put it back in the tube for about 4 months When I finally got over the 'scared of new things' thing I took it fishing. I was making good casts in about 5 - 10 minuets and caught a fish in that same time range.

remember this; Spey casts are just roll casts albeit a roll cast with a few different steps. i spent a part of yesterday morning fishing for Grayling with my old 9' Orvis PM-10 and a Nine Three streamer fly. Every cast I made was a type of Spey cast. We have been Spey casting for years with wets & streamers, we just didn't realize it.

Sounds like a nice rod,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

OK Jackster, settle down now, settle down!! Don't go messing up a body part!! Shame on us Ard!
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

I've just got into the two-hand rod casting, too.

Not good at the spey cast yet, but it's amazing how much line you can get out on an overhead cast. I was using a SA Sharkskin line (110') on mine and had it almost into the backing in a strong wind.

I think you'll like that rod!
    Mike