Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??what...a cat fish???

Default ??what...a cat fish???

well after jackster teaching me how to cast this morning i can now cast 40ft instead of 20 and it is now smooth! thank you jack!!!!

but anyways since i acquired my new casting skills i was itching to try them on the water so grab the fly box rod and reel and took off to the lake. i got there perfect timing to see the fish rising up sucking in flies off the surface however i put on a wooly bugger anyways the water was still almost like a pond and their were hardly any boats. first cast i threw out and a few strips of the line a fish nailed my line but then poped right back off! i still had a smile on my face knowing that tonight was going to be a good one.

i about 4 sun perch in about 30 minutes and went to change spots. i went over to a boat dock and started throwing in. on about my 3rd pass striping line past a big rock on the edge of the shore i fish struck the fly and put up one heck of a fight! i thought for sure it was a bass but when i pulled him in closer i noticed it was a cat fish! first time i ever caught a cat fish on a fly rod! what a great evening and finish to the day!

heres a few pics

Default Re: ??what...a cat fish???

nice. is that a black allen alpha??

Quote Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
    nice. is that a black allen alpha??
    thanks and its their trout series reel

i have 3 allen reels, , but I like my green ones never paid attention to the colors once I seen the green one in person.

Nice Catty! Congrats on adding to the list!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Nice cat!
    Bullhead?

If I could catch catfish regularly I would spend most of my time fishing for them. I love the determined fight they always put up. Unfortunately, most of my catfish are unintended catches that come when fishing for 'gills, but it's always excitement when one grabs the fly!
    Mike

Looks like a yellow bullhead to me. Thats a pretty good sized one at that.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

I caught a catfish going for bass once, great fight for a smaller fish. Now that I have tried to find another... no luck!

I met an ex-pro at a local res one evening; he fine tuned my cast in a couple of minutes and gave me a few pointers that have really changed the efficiency of my cast. Thanks again dude!

Instagram page @tblom77

With that mottling on it, I would almost dare to say that you got yourself a big bullhead! I'm sure that fish put a serious bend in the rod! They're strong!

10. Default Re: ??what...a cat fish???

That happened to me the other day as well except I saw it coming... and tried to dodge it. Sometimes dealing with catfish just isn't worth the fight, expecially when the BBQ is getting cold. Nice fish and great pictures.
    Corbin Hart
    Auburn University Fly Fishing Club
    War Eagle/Tight Lines

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast