perfected patterns

grassonfly

Reaction score
what is one fly pattern that you can tie the best or almost perfectly most of the time. for me its either an ep minnow or a clouser but clousers dont count because of how easy they are. its like being good at tieing a bucktail bendback.

cptxkirk

Reaction score
I had a fellow fly tier chew me out a couple months back as I was just starting for not knowing how to tie a Pheasant Tail Nymph. Since that day I have tied probably close to 500 PTNs and I'm willing to say I can tie them perfectly!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jimspeaker

Reaction score
The fly that I developed specifically for deep nymphing the Cedar River in WA: Cedar CDC Stone

It's my usual first-choice point fly on any big water I fish: Yakima R, Bighole R, Methow R, Rock Creek MT, etc.

Cedar CDC Stone
Tiemco 3761BL #10
Tail: Pheasant Tail (reddish fibers only)
Rib: Medium (Amber) Copper Wire wound fairly tight, just enough space to barely expose underbody
-- tie in the tab-end of wire on the side of the hook up to the thorax to get the foundation for some threadwraps to form a widened, fairly uniform stonefly body
Body: Pheasant Tail (reddish fibers only)
Wingcase: Wide Black Holographic Tinsel
Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub
Legs: Dark(est) Gray CDC Puffs
Head: (Amber) Copper Bead

Rip Tide

Reaction score
That's a nice fly Jim
A good combination of weight, action, and sparkle. Good "triggers' !
I'm going to remember that one :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jim: Great looking pattern, I'm going to have to give that a try. I bet it would be a great pattern on the local rivers.

jimspeaker

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't tend to fish it in shallower / lower-flow streams. It's a bit of a rock. This is the fly that gets down fast to drop into the hole quick.

'preciate the kudos. Hope it hooks up for ya. :)

planettrout

Reaction score
My favorite is the Tracy Petersen Bat Wing Emerger...with the correct color hen neck one can just about match any May fly...and this pattern is a killer...

Bat Wing Epeorus albertae...#16...

PT/TB

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I don't think I can tie any fly perfectly, but I'm pretty good at tying san juan worms :D

Didn't realize MP beat me to this answer, guess I really should learn to read... But as far as perfection, I'm not even that good with sucker spawn!

Last edited:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
San juan worm is a given, but aside from that, a simplified Crackleback--just put a thread base, add a hackle feather, wrap some chenille or whatever around the shank, and palmer the hackle. Absolute simplicity.