Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Time to laugh at ourselves

I was in Iowa recently and fished several evenings at the outlet of Saylorvile Lake dear Des Moines. A lot of people were there, and, of course, I'm the only one with a fly rod.

One guy, spinning rod in hand, takes a good look at me flinging and false casting away and, with a twinkle in his eye, summed up our sport this way:

"Lotta work!"

It was a really cool place to fish because that place attracted all kinds of people. There were at least three or four different languages, different ethnic groups, kids everywhere (outfishing everyone, of course)--all of us in our own way trying to enjoy ourselves and hook the big one.

Default Re: Time to laugh at ourselves

"lotta work"

What you put in, you get out
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

That's one reason I miss Iowa. Real laid back poeple who don't need a lot of words to get across what they want to say.

Yep! (needed more letters for min requirement)

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post

What you put in, you get out

This time, it didn't actually work that way. The fishing was bad all around, but I did see some carp swirling. There wasn't any way to sight fish for them in the murky water, though, and stripping flies was producing nothing.

One evening, after a tiring day of research, I decided to relax and got out the spin outfit instead. Baited up with some corn, and sat on the bank all lazy-like. Eventually, I got one of those big boys in, and let him go.

I don't know about that.
    If I'm surf casting my 10wt into the teeth of a 25knot wind. That's a lotta work.
    But if I'm just flicking a dry fly into some runs and pockets.... not so much
    In fact it's pretty dam easy.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I don't know about that.
    If I'm surf casting my 10wt into the teeth of a 25knot wind. That's a lotta work.
    But if I'm just flicking a dry fly into some runs and pockets.... not so much
    In fact it's pretty dam easy.
    Guess it all depends, but I agree, Rip. I bought my daughter a little spinning rod combo, the zebco style thumb click and zing caster. She's only 4 but always asks if she can go fishing with me. Anyway, a couple weeks ago we were camping and we of course brought her rod and she wanted to fish. So I rigged it up and tied a prince nymph on under a bobber. Then the hard part...I couldn't remember how to cast that dang thing!! Click the button, hold and chuck and release at the right moment or you get something a lot worse than a tailing loop! I did figure it out after a couple tries, but man it was awkward.

She get's one summer with it, and next year it's on to a fly rod!

8. Default Re: Time to laugh at ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
    This time, it didn't actually work that way. The fishing was bad all around, but I did see some carp swirling. There wasn't any way to sight fish for them in the murky water, though, and stripping flies was producing nothing.
    When Carp are the best option to put a big-ass bend in the rod I like to fish about a #8 chocolate/olive bugger and do the strip a few times and drop so it creates a mud-puff presentation... taught line after the drop and wait 5-10 seconds, they'll often pluck it from the mud. Strip a few more times... repeat.
    - tight lines -
    Jim

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
    http://fishing.smarttripmap.com