Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fly Organization

I threw down for one of those UPG boxes a month ago; I got the large "Weekender". It's a pretty sweet fly box. Now I have all of my flies in 3 boxes and one streamer wallet.

I separate nymph, mayfly and caddis. The UPG box has two small magnet areas that holds midges very well. The whole thing is slit foam and two sided. On one side in the center the rows are wider and hold my large mayfly patters (#12 and up), both ends of the box hold size #14 well, both parachute and standard. The opposite has a slimmer lid, slit foam rows on each end and the center area is a large flat with long slits that works well for parachutes and wets. The narrow rows at top and bottom hold all my mayflies sized #16 and smaller.

I have a large C&F nymph box with slit foam on one side and 10 compartments on the other side. I use the compartments for big nymphs, hoppers, large attractors, etc. I switch these out depending on the season. The slits are packed with standard nymphs 12-16.

Then I have a small two sided, box with slits on one lid for three "pages". I have caddis dries and wets on one half and small attractors, ants and beetles on the other side.

I have found that organizing by size is a good way for me.

I switched out some of my boxes this season and "organized" in a different manner.
    I'm still reaching in to my vest and not finding the fly I'm looking for in the place where I think it should be
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I have the UPG boxes as well and love them. Got them for half off or close to it last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12