Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help landing fish

1. Default Help landing fish

Hello,

I am always looking to improve my fly fishing skills. Recently i noticed i have lost some decent size trout for the area i fly fishing in. Last week i lost a ~20" brown at the net, and today i lost one that looked to be ~15" and another that looked to be about ~17". The hook on the fly is pretty sharp, i did a nail check.

Any tips to help prevent this from happening? It seems to be occuring a lot. Thanks for any tips and help.

-john

Default Re: Help landing fish

Hey there John...So what exactly is happening?...Trout throwing the hook?, Tippet breaking?
    Just a little more info will help us help you!

3. Likes woodrivertroutbum liked this post
    Blog Entries

Greg beat me to the punch on the questions there... also, what sort of net are you using? I tend to prefer a slightly longer-handled net which I then tuck into my wading belt behind my backpack. It slightly limits the extreme angles needed to net a fish while holding a rod, the same angles that are called "high-sticking" when fighting a fish and often lead to lost fish. While the long-handled net is usually used because I'm landing lake-run fish for friends, it also helps when fishing solo giving the little bit of extra reach.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  6. Default Re: Help landing fish

Once you get the trout's head out of the water, keep it out.

Randy

7. Likes woodrivertroutbum liked this post
  8. Default Re: Help landing fish

Hey guys,

It seems that the trout are throwing the hooks. I have them on the fly with what i thought was a nice hook set each time. I get them close enough to see what I have on and all of a sudden the hook comes out. It is just disappointing not to be able to take a few pics of the sweet catch! The one that was ~20" was a real beauty. Looked like a mini alligator! Had a nice hook jaw. This seems to only occur when i am using streamers. Dry flies and nymphs i usually get the fish in the net. The net i am using is a short handle.

Thanks!

-john

Fish just don't "throw a hook". It's possible of course especially with barbless hooks, but typically it's the smaller fish that wiggle around so much that this happens.
    Second of all, it's called fishing not catching, and unless you feel the need to publish a photo of every fish you take, you probably didn't need to take it from the water and were going to release it anyway. The "long line release" is better for the fish.
    Third... like Randy says... keep a tight line. It's the slack that give the trout a chance.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Cool Re: Help landing fish

Talk to him! Tell him to stay on just for a bit longer and that you only want to see him up close or maybe get a pic. Let him know you are letting him go anyway. Works for me. Sometimes!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

11. Likes rccola712 liked this post

Is this occurring while netting? If so, is the leader so long that the leader/fly line connection is catching on the rod guides or tip top guide?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

You shouldn't worry about it....you're going to release the trout anyway,aren't you?So...maybe you're a bit nervous to lose a fish...it's the best way to do it
    What is interesting is to lure the fish....landing it when it's a beauty is the icing on the cake

That's what i say, I release all my fish. once the fish is at my feet or head out of the water. I consider it caught. Unless it's a big one , maybe a quick photo. I do not like handling the fish if possible for there sake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast