Orvis Superfine 3wt- maybe the best for me

medic77

Reaction score
I was in Chicago this weekend for the Cards Cubs game and I found an Orvis store. I don't have a whole lot of experience with casting a bunch of different rods (TFO pro 8'6 5wt, Older St. Croix Imperial 5/6wt 9', and a TFO Ticrx 9' 8wt) but I got to cast a 6'6 Orvis superfine in the back ally and I think I'm in love. Not only did the salesman have me casting better than I ever have but the rod just felt perfect in my hand. Thanks to that salesman who's name escapes me.
Is there such a thing as perfect? Or is it just the price point of a better rod. Do all the expensive rods cast that way or does the full flex just fit my style. I need some more experienced members opinions. I can tell you this though, I can't stop thinking about how great that rod made me cast.

Derrick

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I am glad to see you post this. I was considering the same rod. Fast rods don't trip my trigger as good as a moderate action and I think a full flex would lite me up big time,,esp on my smaller streams.

mojo

Reaction score
I have a '01 4wt. One Ounce and a '87 5 wt. Far & Fine. I've been fishing them a lot lately. I did have a 4wt. Trout Bum ( original series) but like a dumb ass, I sold it. Been kicking myself ever since. Really miss that rod.
Hell, go buy yourself the 3 wt. Get some good line and a CFO 123 or Hardy. I haven't tried the new resin impregnated rods yet, but they should be close in flex.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I'm fond of 5wts and 4wt rods. A 5 would be super. Heck the 4 would be super too ! LOL,,that would be my very torment also..should I go 5 or 4 wt ? Or perhaps get wild and go 3wt !! With the size trout we have,,,I'd probably go 4wt. An Orvis Superfine should make an outstanding dry fly rod at moderate distance..and moderate distance is all I ever need in my area...unless I go to the lakes,,and then I tote a St Croix, 9ft 5wt as my boat rod. I have an older 6wt rod but rarely use it. Just carry it for back up on the boat. Granted, I don't get to fish the big trout rivers like a lot of the guys do,,,so I'd be out of my element to comment on.. say... a rod for long distance, huge trout type thing.

Isn't Sage coming out with a full flex rod soon ? I 'think' I read something about that.

But that Orvis Superfine,, man o' man,,,ya got me thinking now !

Good luck on your choice

Michael

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Derrick, the Superfine is a pretty great rod. I tend to prefer medium-medium fast-fast rods but the action on that rod is certainly fun to cast. And to think that a lot of guys swear it was even better in the past! I'll probably end up with one of those in my stable at some point, but I'll have to wrangle up the money first. And with those full flexes, they're great to cast, but wait til you hook into a fish, it gets even better.

cockatouche

Reaction score
Every once and awhile, one particular set-up will speak to you.
If you can afford it, buy it or you will be thinking about that rod forever.

Your post made me think of my "One That Got Away".

I woulld also suggest that you set it up exactly like the demo or ask to buy the demo.

axle27

Reaction score
I got my hands on a 7'9" F&F Superfine in 5wt. I like it, but I'm not in love with it. I had to do alot of adjustment to give it what it wanted....

I should probably practice more.

r reese

Reaction score
I fish the super fine and trout bum series 2, 3, and 4 wt love them. the longest rod in my stable is 6ft 6 in. I fish tail waters small creeks and trout parks, never feel I need anything else.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Hardy flyweight reels on all my rods even the 4 wt. You will get many years of service out of that rod.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I have the older version of the Superfine. I'm not sure if the new version is a little stiffer.

One thing to consider: if you hook into a big trout with the 3 weight you'll have a tough time landing him because of the slow action of the rod.

Some anglers might want that, but I feel a long fight can hurt a fish.

Randy

medic77

Reaction score
Good point, see these are all things to consider. My take is use the 3wt and break them off before I get my grubby hands on them. Seeing my ugly mug is more stress than the fight. Ha

jimspeaker

Reaction score
The Orvis 6 1/2' superfine 2 weight is my small stream rod. It balances perfectly with a Sage 3100 reel, which in itself is almost as much of a joy to hear singing a perfect buzz, as the casting of the beautifully built full flex rod. I love the all-cork grip with rings instead of a standard reel seat.

One caution with these rods: they have a tendency to come a little loose at the ferule causing the top section to ride up the ferule. This can cause the graphite to shatter at the ferule when casting. I'm on my third one because of this. Be sure to apply a little "nose grease" to the ferule when seating the sections together.

I'd recommend spending the little bit of extra dough on the Sage Quiet Taper line - it performs perfectly with that rod.

Loaded with backing, quiet taper line and a sage 3100 the whole outfit weighs just shy of 7 oz.

I've landed up to 20" brown trout in spring creeks on this rod, without taking too much time or overstressing the fish. It's just a matter of realizing that the full flex and light weight is protecting your tippet while you work the **** out of the big fish to bring them in quickly - yeah, the rod turns into a U with a big pig on, just tilt it back, turn their heads, and make them do your will, not theirs.

Two thumbs up to the Orvis super-fine, or "1 oz." -- with the right reel it's a perfectly balanced feather in the hand.

Cheers

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I have the 8'6" 3wt Superfine Touch. Timing is slower and you can really feel the rod load. You really can cast at short distances accurately. I find the my 9'5wt helios mid flex takes a bit of line to load well...the 7wt tip flex helios takes a lot of line to load it. The superfine has been a real joy to use. I plan on getting a 8'6" 4 or 5wt. I've been considering the scott g2 8'8" 5wt which is a mid-fast flex...but something about the superfine full flex keeps calling me back. I'll use the superfines to fish the bushy, overhung banks of a small spring creek. They'll stay home when I hit the bigger rivers and need the distance to throw big ugly bass flies.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Another big plus of the longer flex's ,,at least a mid flex vrs a tip flex...is how much more you can feel the fish on the line. And to me,,that's what makes my day.

I've never had a full flex..but I think that is about to change ,,esp to fish my 'small streams' with.

Should I put Orvis on my speed dial ? LOL

Michael

shotgunfly

Reaction score
fly guy is absolutely right about that bend in your stick. I do fish that superfine full flex on a farm pond to catch bass. And even pan fish are fun with a full flex 3wt.

jimspeaker

Reaction score
fly guy is absolutely right about that bend in your stick. I do fish that superfine full flex on a farm pond to catch bass. And even pan fish are fun with a full flex 3wt.
And when you do hook into a pig on a full flex, it's kinda fun to have a U for a rod. The beauty is they protect tippet so well you can still land them in a timely manner.

(Oh I'm repeating myself... ugh.)

Last edited:

medic77

Reaction score
Man I am sold. Now the question is if I'm going to add a 3wt to the stable of the 5wt TFO, the 5-6 St. Croix, and 8wt TFO or replace the 5wt with the Superfine. Hmm the question at hand. I loved the feeling of that 3wt.

paflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Medic, my 2 cents here. If you do get the rod, make sure you closely duplicate the line and reel(as stated above). To me, it is the combination of line and rod, along with reel balance, that give a rod it's "feel." Also, unless you need that short of a rod for really tight streams you might want to step up to a 7 1/2 foot rood if you can find one that you like as much. I have both a 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 3 wt rod and I find that the increased line control that the extra foot gives me is significant, even on very small streams. Just my personal observations, you won't be dissapointed no matter what you get! Tight lines.