Winter Project: Driftboat

kibby

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a driftboat of my own. I've been exploring a few different options, and I was wondering if anyone here has built their own, and what they could offer for advice. I have the skills and the tools, and the space to do it, so why shouldn't I? Besides, driftboats don't exactly grow on trees here in the East, right? Building my own would be a nice way to get on the water in the big rivers around this region.

Can anyone recommend a good set of plans? Right now, I am leaning towards the Don Hill plans.

I'd like to apologize in advance if this thread belongs in a different subforum, but I didnt see any boat-specific forums listed.

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score

kibby

Reaction score
Well after much consideration, I ordered the Don Hill plans to build the 16' standard. I'll post a build thread in here to track the progress if there's any interest.

kibby

Reaction score
Well I just unpacked the plans and DVD. Looks like I got my money's-worth so far. I watched a little of the DVD, and its obvious it was originally shot with a magnetic tape camcorder, so a little wiggly and tracking was off, lol, but its definitely watchable, and looks like it takes the builder through the proper steps.