Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Rebuild or bedroom art?

I recently purchased and curently have posted on kijiji is a 1911 F.E Thomas BOO 9ft 3 pc which is my very first bamboo rod. Being this old it does need a total restoration but I have now discovered that the first 6 inches on the tip portion at the ferrul end ...the glue failed and the hex is coming apart. I was originally just going to flip it and make a small profit but rubbing her gently everynight and feelin her, Im getting attached. So what do you recommend....in the water or on the headboard?

Default Re: Rebuild or bedroom art?

If you can afford it I would say get it repaired by a pro. If not clean it up and mount it.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

I'd say throw it on the wall! I have my grandfathers old fly rod from when he was younger, I'd never want to give that up!

Get it restored and use it.

Usually I'm the first one to say that rods are meant to be used, but that one sounds done to me.
    It's quite old, delaminating and 6" short, and while a little short is okay, that's a lot.
    You can fairly easily fix a delamination, but those old rods didn't have the best of glue in the first place. That also tells me that it's likely there's varnish is missing. Not that you can't refinish the rod, but if there's water damage/dry rot, the rod is shot.
    I'd take it somewhere and have it evaluated. Any large general tackle or fly shop will have someone or know someone that can tell for sure.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

6. Default Re: Rebuild or bedroom art?

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Usually I'm the first one to say that rods are meant to be used, but that one sounds done to me.
    It's quite old, delaminating and 6" short, and while a little short is okay, that's a lot.
    You can fairly easily fix a delamination, but those old rods didn't have the best of glue in the first place. That also tells me that it's likely there's varnish is missing. Not that you can't refinish the rod, but if there's water damage/dry rot, the rod is shot.
    I'd take it somewhere and have it evaluated. Any large general tackle or fly shop will have someone or know someone that can tell for sure.
    First of all thank all of you for your input . Rip its not 6 inches short its 6 inches of delamination do you still think its toast?

Quote Originally Posted by bamboostalker View Post
    First of all thank all of you for your input . Rip its not 6 inches short its 6 inches of delamination do you still think its toast?
    Like I said, that's a fairly easy repair. It's a matter of opening the space with straight pins and injecting some glue with a syringe. Then binding the repair with cord to clamp it.
    If that's all it needs before it's refinished, it shouldn't be a problem.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart