Still one of my fav 2-hander fly fishing video's: North Umpqua and dry flies

pegboy1

Reaction score
Great video. I read an article about getting steel to eat dries on the great lake tribs a few months back. Good read but i seriously dont think it will ever happen for me...haha. Maybe by fluke. :D

wt bash

Reaction score
Yeah thats a favorite of mine too Fred I think I've been watching that clip for around two or three years now like it was gospel!

Pegboy1, its possible but only if you fish them. I know I go half a day or so and the doubts get me and I tie on a wet. If they whack indicators it stands to reason they'll whack a dry like a big Wulff or caddis. Its just a matter of timing and finding the right flow. I've had fish chase wiggle minnows and wakers but never commit. Its gonna happen eventually and when it does Fred will be able to hear me hooting it up in Oregon!

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Thanks Fred! I loved seeing them flash under the fly. Maybe we should have a thread where folks post their favorite fishing video? Could be some real good Friday evening entertainment!

Jackster

Reaction score
I read an article about getting steel to eat dries on the great lake tribs a few months back.
Great video! Oh to do that one day!

I spent (wasted) a couple days trying to get Great Lakes steel to eat dry flies. I still have the Waller Walkers and other hairy, waking dries and hope some day to be at a place to use them.
I have no idea why GL steel shy away from dries when compared to those west coast fish but you're right, those GL steelies will occasionally strike at and indicator. It stands to reason that eventually they'll take a dry but I plain ran out of patience. Swinging wets works but the thrill of the take of steelhead on top would be the bomb.

I guess this is another reason fly fishing is an obsession... there's always something just out of reach!

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Over this summer I found myself bitten by a spey bug and have been lurking a speywebsite and ebay trying to find a couple of two hand rods. I have a strong feeling that maybe I am going to leave my single hand rod and end up using two hand rod all the time.
That’s a great video by the way and will worsen my addiction to spey bug.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Over this summer I found myself bitten by a spey bug and have been lurking a speywebsite and ebay trying to find a couple of two hand rods. I have a strong feeling that maybe I am going to leave my single hand rod and end up using two hand rod all the time.
That’s a great video by the way and will worsen my addiction to spey bug.
"Welcome to the Dark Side Young Luke Skywalker, Welcome ......:yikes: "
:fishing:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
May the force be with you, master.
Truth be told (no kidding) I have been called "The Sultan of Swing." (As in 2-hander casting). Nothing to do with how far I can cast, but one of the first who will walk up to a particular run and have three rods rigged and ready.

First for the first (pick a number) 20 yards of a run, the second for the next, etc. Each bit really required a different approach so rather than re-rig I'll take a different rod that's already set and good to go.

Some bits I'll use all three: A full floater with a long leader/heavy fly, then the next, etc., to see if I get any results. Same (or similar) fly and one 'presentation' may work and the other two won't. On one specific run we have here on the upper Rogue I'll have a forth rod ready to go (a 7wt 10' Sage XP as I know (if there are fish) they'll be right at my feet. A 2-hander is a total waste of time. Bye the bye, the XP's are very good at 'spey casting.' Only one that's a real pain is the Snake Roll unless you have the shoulders of a Lumber Jack (I don't:shocking:).