Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Midge-Nymph difference

I mostly fish for Bluegill's now, I don't have many option's to choose from. Well this new lake I'am fishing in now all these Bluegill's will only take a small #14 Brown Midge nothing else. I've tried small Mosquito's from small pheasant tail Nymph's nothing work's. But when I fish my main lake there all over the Nymph and dry flies, but not the Midge. What's the difference in them? Both pattern's to me look a little similar. What are they supposed to represent?

Default Re: Midge-Nymph difference

Midge is a specific class of insect (dipthera/chironomid). They have a complete life cycle like a butterfly - from larva to pupa to adult. The aquatic phase is the larva and pupa. But generally, midge can also mean a small fly that is not a true midge. Some true midges can be relatively big so things can get confused.

Midge Larva:

Midge pupa

Nymph is specifically the aquatic phase of mayflies, stoneflies, damselflies, dragonflies, crane flies, etc, etc; but is also used generically to describe a type of fly imitating the immature aquatic stage of all insects including midges.

When someone says they are fishing a midge nymph they are technically wrong but it is used commonly enough that we know what they mean.

Mayfly nymph - Baetis:

Pheasant Tail Nymph"

So the meaning of these terms can be specific or general and the meaning depends on the context in which they are used. In England, midge larva patterns are called "buzzers".

Buzzer:

Note the parts of the fly vs the parts of the midge pupa:

Last edited by silver creek; 08-17-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

3. Likes yikes liked this post