furled leaders and tippet

chauncey

Reaction score
How much tippet do you guys run after the furled leader before you tie on your first fly? I use cutthroat leaders with the tippet ring and have been tying on about 12-15" (of 4x) before the first fly but was wondering if I should go longer.

williamhj

Reaction score
For me it varies by how picky the fish are and how tight the water is. Generally I put on at least 2 feet though, often more. Most of the furled leaders I use are 4 - 5.5 feet.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
We recommend starting at 48" of tippet. Depending on casting / wind / fly size and ability, you can go longer. I know it sounds like a lot of tippet to fisherman not familiar with furled leaders…. It will turn over without any issues.

Hope that helps.

Thank you,

mrl0004

Reaction score
It usually depends on how long your furled leader is, IMO. I would say I generally add about 3-4' to mine, and my furled leaders are usually ~5ft.

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
I use a 6 ft furled leader and on the end of that I will add 2'-5' more tippet, depending on the situation. On the shorter end for big hoppers, the longer end when i need to go deep.

L

Liphookedau

I use either a 4 1/2 or a 5ft Furled Leader & because I mostly use a 2 Fly setup I use a 6ft Tipit with The Dropper tied about 18" to 2ft back from the Point.
I also vary The Tipit length from 9-12 inches max otherwise a lot of line twisting is created,it works great.
Brian.