Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair trade?

Default Fair trade?

Well some of you guys might know I was supposed to head up to the Adirondacks next week. That plan is out and now a week camping at Caledonia State Park, practically in the Michaux State Forrest, is the destiation. The ADKs would have entailed gormet food, luxury, and all that jazz with a heavy chance of some serious family drama, and brook trout fishing. Along with the new destination come my girlfriend and I, a tent, a cooler, no families, close proximity to the Limestoners and the bluelines within the Michaux, burgers and corn on the cob and roughly 500 bucks cheaper. So whattya think fair trade?
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

2. Likes fredaevans, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fair trade?

Missing family drama AND saving $500... priceless! milt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
    Missing family drama AND saving $500... priceless! milt.
    What Milt said! Vacations are meant to get away from drama.

Blog Entries

I couldn't agreee more with Milt and Dennis! Enjoy the time with your girfriend........no need to hassle with family drama issues!
    Larry

Yup...give me simple, relaxed, and cheap and I am a happy "camper". Drama of any kind does not fit into that formula

Blog Entries

A drama free vacation sounds like a no brainer to me. Fair trade? I think you are clearly getting the better end of the deal. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy it WT.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

50 some years back one of my Mentors (and I was lucky enough to have several) told me: 'You like the young lady? Fine take her camping for a week and come back and tell me what you think.'

Tent was one of those old 'oiled canvas' jobs. First day was very cool; especially after dark. Second day 'I'm board.' Third day .. more of same.

Fourth day I packed up and took her home to Mama.

Next time I did that (same old tent) it rained for two straight days, as in poured. Even the floor of the tent had a couple of inches of water on it. Drove into town and purchased a couple of folding camp cots and a fold up table. We ate, slept, played checkers and cards for the next two.

She never blinked; I should have been "WARNED! Danger Young Mr. Robinson! DANGER!!" Years later, and two very young kids and coming back from a trip to Portland, Or. Beautiful weather, etc.

'Lets go camping!' Not a thing on us for that so pulled into the town of Kalama and purchased a large blue plastic ground cover, some rope, food (canned stuff), cooler for kid stuff that needed to be kept cold a cheap pot a small fry pan and some paper plates. (Edit, did go back and get Colman Lantern, a flash light has its place, but this was not the place.)

A cook stove? Took a large empty can and punched holes in the middle and bottom and sturno tubs (same thing you'd use today under a chafing dish). Blankets? Had two in the car so good to go there on a warm night (they were).

Together/married for a quarter century.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I hear ya my idea of luxury is being dry and having a BIC lighter! The ADKs would have been a cool change of pace but I'm not in the habit of eating a poop sandwich just to get some dessert! Oh and Fred, this ones a keeper, I know that, but we're not going near the M word!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

The Adirondacks is one of my favorite places on earth. That said, option b sounds better. All the beauty of ADK can be irrevocably lost in the swirling cesspool of family drama. About 28 years ago, a young lady took me on the camping test in Codorus State Park (I was the greenhorn), not so far from Caledonia, in an old canvas tent. I passed the test. Now the kids are grown and for the first time in probably 23 years we just planned a camping trip for just the two of us. Don't get me wrong...camping with the kids was always great, but I can't wait.

You made a good swap.

Sounds like a great time to me, especially avoiding drama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast