Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fish ID

1. Default Fish ID

I've seen a lot of these fish around Auburn, mostly holding in pools and lakes. It is hard to see from this picture, but it is a glowing white. This one was caught on a live worm (dont grill me, it was somebody else). I could not get one to hit a woolly bugger or a cricket fly.

Without further-a-do,

Thanks For the help.
    Corbin Hart
    Auburn University Fly Fishing Club
    War Eagle/Tight Lines

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!

2. Default Re: Fish ID

Looks like some sort of cichlid, probably someone's pet at one time or another

3. Default Re: Fish ID

The do have a fin structure like a chichlid. The thing is that I have seen several of them in multiple locations. Still could be that though.
    Corbin Hart
    War Eagle/Tight Lines

Default Re: Fish ID

I think the only way to truely identify it is to fry it ans see how it tastes. Unless of course it is some kinda protected species. Ha

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Or just put it in your fish tank.

Default Re: Fish ID

Looks like a type of Tilipia. White Nile or a color phase Red. They seem to be showing up in many areas with warm climates.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

6. Default Re: Fish ID

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfly View Post
    The do have a fin structure like a chichlid. The thing is that I have seen several of them in multiple locations. Still could be that though.
    That was the thing that threw me, that you'd seen several in multiple places. But I suppose if a local pet shop had been selling them as ornamentals it could explain their distribution. And if you're in a university town, grad students have been known to liberate some of their study organisms from time to time

Regardless of how they got there, it's pretty neat. Have you contacted your local fish biologists about it?

7. Default Re: Fish ID

I had not even thought about tilapia. Now that I looked up some tilapia pictures I am pretty sure that is what it is. That also explains why it refused a wooly bugger and cricket. Guess he just got lucky with the worm. Thanks for the helps everyone.
    Corbin Hart
    War Eagle/Tight Lines