Caught My First

brhitch

Reaction score
Just found this forum after a renewed interest in fly fishing. I usually fish spinning or baitcasters. I caught my first fish on a fly rod tonight. It was a small bass and I was thrilled. Caught it on an old Martin 61 and the 8 ft. rod that came with it when I bought it many years ago using a floating spider.

Now that I'm officially hooked on fly fishing, I want to get a better setup since my has seen better days. Years sitting around hasn't helped it. I will mostly be fishing for bass and some panfish, with the occasional trip to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area of the Smoky Mountains. What does everyone think for a new fly fisherman? I live in the north eastern part of Kentucky if that helps any.

williamhj

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome! For a set up a 9' 5 or 6 wt would be a good start. 6 leans more towards the bass and the 5 towards trout bit they'd both work for a starter set up.

caseywise

Reaction score
welcome to the forum, lotsa good info here:D
as far as gear, check out allen fly fishing. those guys are sponsors here and they make some nice stuff at an even nicer price.

casey

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great gear out there these days, but as Casey pointed out you won't go wrong getting an Allen setup.......very nice gear and the support is superb.